Q6600 + Zalman 9700 what to do???

beta124

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I've got a Q6600 (G0) (VID 1.2875v) running stock at 2.4Ghz, with a Zalman 9700NT in a Cosmos case.
ASUS P5E WS BIOS 0603
All fans at 100%

Check out these temps and tell me which one you would believe.
Ambient(room temp): 24C

At 100% Load with Prime94 x64

Program Core Temp CPUID HM SpeedFan
Case N/A 36C 36C
CPU N/A 58C 58C
Core0 54C 54C 39C
Core1 54C 54C 37C
Core 2 51C 51C 39C
Core 3 55C 55C 40C

I'd like to OC this Q6600, but I'm not sure what temps to believe.
Are any of these temps even normal????

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Speedfan is normally 15c or so off. Trust Core Temp, I have never seen an error with it yet. HWMonitor hasnt been wrong yet either. Those two are a great pair, and CPUz to watch the real time voltage to the core as you use processor power.

Wait... It reads the TCase as 58 c? Wow, can the cores be lower then the TCase? Is your cooler seated right?

Normally the cores maintain a reasonable temperature higher than the TCase. (TCase being the heat spreader, or top of your processor where the heatsink rests on it. TJunction is the temperature of the inner cores. They will maintain their heat easier than the TCase.)

For instance, my TCase (top) is 29 now, and my TJunction or cores are 39/44/39/39. Ends up that way because the cooler is good at keeping the area it contacts cool. The TCase. The cores are internal, and generating the heat, so should always be over the TCase. (Unless you have godly cooling!)

Yes, the temps you have are normal, besides for that part! Upon thinking about it, If it wasnt seated right, the cores would be extra hot!

People recommend that you OverClock until your cores reach 65c and dont go to far over. Its a safe point. Your processor could prolly reach 3.2 at least on that cooler.

Thats always a good point, a x 8 multiplier, 400 FSB, ram in sync at 800 mhz. You can prolly start with the VCore at 3.5000 in the Bios, that should bring 3.2 or 3.3 in windows which should be enough for 3.2. Then you test and lower, or raise the speed, depending on yer testing temps, times and such.

I just hope your sensors aren't being weird. Could that be a bios problem? They seem common, the errors in temps for certain BIOS releases.

BTW, got any OCing goals in mind?

--Lupi

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Couple of things come to mind.

1. You heatsink maybe applied wrong. Would hurt to resintall it with new thermal paste

2. Air flow through your case can make a big difference. Someone on here had 1 fan blowing the wrong way and had very high temps because of it.

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
um...your CPUID appears to be reading everything correctly, so whats the problem? Just follow what CPUID reads, IGNORE the rest. You should consider yourself lucky actually, that you found one program which reads everything correctly. Now where your standing I wouldnt personally overclock. I stop overclocking when Tcase reaches 35@idle, yours appears to be 36 stock. Not necessarily abnormal for a stock quad core in a warm room.

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
try disabling everything in your cpu configuration. or reapply some artic silver 5 in the very middle of the cpu in a diagnol motion [ l ] - If you get what im sayen.