Q8400 stronger than the Phenom II quads when OC'ed over 3 Ghz?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Thanks for explaining that - makes sense now.

Possibly because compared to Crysis and Fallout 3 FC2 actually uses a quad decently. Only Left 4 Dead truly utilizes quads better (I have both games and have tested it on my Q6600).

The Q6600 itself stock is very good for most games since they are just no taking advantage of a quad. But the people who normally got a Q6600 got the G0 stepping for one purpose: the ability to OC it to 3GHz without haveing to ever up the voltage, and some (such as myself) were able to lower the stock voltage too. Its sad to see they only include the Q6600 and not a QX6850 to see what a Q6600 @ 3GHz would be.

The Q8400 is a decent chip TBH. Its not amazing, like the Q6600 was but its also not bad. But once DDR3s prices come down and the X58 mobos go down to arouns $150 the Core i7 920 will be a major competator.

Well until Core i5 come out. Core i5 looks to be pretty good and with 32nm and HK/MG V2 it will not only run pretty cool it will probably also OC better.

As I have said many times before, Phenom II is a great upgrade choice for those with a compatable AM2+ mobo and for those with a very low budget (maybe a X3 710/720) for such as a HTPC or casual gaming machine. But depending on the budget Intel still comes to play. I normally stay around $1500 and for that Intel is decent. AMD is ok but depends on what is in that price range.

esotericjester

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
1) I guess I don't see anything extraordinary in this article. I thought it was common knowledge that the Phenom II's stock performance advantages were due to higher clock speeds. The overclocking results show that each processor maintains the their lead in benchmarks that they won at stock speeds. Granted, the difference in Far Cry 2 grows more than the the difference in the other tests, but I don't view this as alarming. Of course the discussion of profit margins on the chips that you quoted certainly isn't good for AMD, but I don't see this article as showing Intel trouncing AMD at this price point. It shows the two processors at the same price point trading blows which is what all of the AMD/Intel comparisons (that I have read) since Phenom II relase have shown.

2)

This article does not show that the E7400 is exactly the same clock for clock in games as the E8600. It shows a performance deficit in Far Cry 2. These are the author's comments:
For max performance the larger cache CPU is a must. Far Cry 2 does like the extra cache and for sure the extra gains from a using higher FSB. It's nice to see such a new game title give high FPS with detail settings on high (although at lower resolution)
The other gaming benchmark shows a GPU bottleneck for both processors in Crysis Warhead.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Good to see that there finally was someone who actually read the article - and your statement is correct. Personally I find the higher multiplier a more convincing argument for the E8600 - but the extra cache does show a small benefit.

My statement was not accurate, thanks for correcting me.

However for a gaming computer I believe that the extra $50 premium for an E8400 is not worth it unless you already have a killer GPU setup and the rest - the extra $150 for the E8600 is definitely not worth it unless you plan on extreme overclocking. That would be a more accurate statement.

1 - yes I agree - however before the Q8400 I would have argued that Intel wasn't even able to trade blows - the AMD Phenom was the all-round better value plattform - what the Q8400 did was to bring Intel back into the competition for the value quad core segment - especially when it comes to OC. The older Q8200 couldn't really ever compete at that level with its low multi.

esotericjester

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009

I agree with this. My statement about absolute performance was admittedly nitpicking and I planned to mention the cost vs performance gain, but it was unintentionally omitted.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Hey, guess what?

ThreadNecroCArd.jpg

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
it is common knowledge you cannot support a dual core vs. a quad core here on toms. here on toms we are all american. american means bigger and better every time. if you do not have the biggest and baddest you are not american so GTFO.

typical noob mentality that is portrayed here in regards to CPU's. quad core users need to wake up, seriously.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007

That is true- but a $50 processor is much more powerful for your dollar than a $100 processor. That doesn't mean you would recommend the former...

/AMD fan- just saying.

And another thing - the link tool always tries to insert at the beginning of the post, not where the cursor was when invoked. This leads to much cursing on my part :p

Anand fudge his benching? Oh, noesssssss :eek:

fc2720nba.jpg

That's one of Anand's own charts. While an increase in overall clock speed will benefit the Phenom arch the real gains come from additionally upping the IMC/NB speed - a 27% increase in the OC'ed Crossfired rig to 71.4 FPS with the IMC/NB at 2.8GHz. Ummm, no wonder he left the Ph II 940BE IMC/NB at 1.8GHz - LOL.

And the Biostar 790GX/720BE combo is now $184 AR ... That should leave enough financial room for that second HD4870 :p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.200066

For the most part Anand has given an honest evaluation of Intel/AMD but I don't think the OP's article is a very good example of that. He was just pumping the q8400 to pay some bills, I reckon - can't blame him for that!

They pretty much did the same here at Toms. Seems people really dont know how to get the most out of their AMD chips.
I invite any cpu user to go thru AMD threads, inevitably the "I wish theyd bump those NB speeds up" comes out, cause thats where the real power is seen, not as a Ghz thing, but a IPC thing

Malcolmk

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
The simple answer is NO. The intel dual core looks good in benchmarks but when played side by side the Phenom is far superior. The phenom is smoother and has a more consistent framerate. Also lots of games are four or even eight thread enabled so it's a waste of time getting an intel dual core. There outdated and overpriced. I've had eight 775 motherboards and four dual cores and none of them where any good in game play on a 24"screen when compared to the AMD quads.

CoolBeansG

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

I'm 52 years old, and me and my nephew have been having a blast playing Crysis Wars on the Q8400 system I just built for my wife to do wp and surfing, and its other purpose being a budget gaming system for the nephew for only $560. It runs great so far. Haven't run any benchmarks on it, but you can tell by game play that it's more then adequate for playing the games we want to play. :bounce: