drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Hi all,

I am new here, so I apologize if this question has been asked many times already.

I have a Q9300 processor and I wish to overclock it to 3Ghz. I currently have it overclocked to 2.62Ghz and before I go further with it, I prefer to test it at the current state.

However, when I am running a stress test on it, I am noticing that while the temperature for the main processor go to and stay at about 55-60 C, the individual cores are at about 70 C.

As the maximum temperature for this model processor is about 71 C, before going any further I just need to check, does this refer to the processor temp, or does this also include the individual core temps?

Many thanks in advance for your help with this.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Many apologies for the confusion. I realize that this temperature refers to the maximum case temperature.

However, just to be safe, what is the maximum temperature for the processor cores?

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
If you dont have an after market heatsink I would not recommend you to OC a quadcore, but If you already have one and got those temps @70C. with that low OC then reseat the heatsink because those temps are too high.

Just to give you an idea for your OC, I have a Q8200 (not a good OC'er), set the fsb @430mhz and that gives me 3.0Ghz, no vcore Changes, just a minor RAM OC, from 800mhz to 860mhz Vram @1.91, set at 1:1 ratio with cpu.

temps are 45C. idle, 60-65C. underload using an aftermarket heatsink (Tuniq tower 120)

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for your response.

I will try re-setting the heatsink fan. It is the one that came with the processor, so it is probably not as good as it should be.

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
With that stock heatsink fan you won't be able to OC too much, I, again, recommend you a $50 or so aftermarket heatsink fan, I would say it is a must have for any overclocker.

after that, if you have a 800mhz ram already, just set the FSB to 400mhz and set it at 1:1 ratio with the ram. That way you can hit 3.0Ghz easily, no voltage tweaking or anything else required (I think in your cpu will look like 7.5x400mhz=3.0ghz)

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Yeah you are likely right. Re-setting the fan made no difference.

I will probably invest in something like this: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/030/scktn2000_detail.html

As for overclocking, I dont really see myself going much over 3Ghz, so as far as I can tell I wont be changing anything to do with voltages, as apparently this processor can go up to 450Mhz FSB without changing the power.

Oh, I am using a Gigabyte mother board so it might not be that simple, but I am sure I will work it out once I setup the cooling properly.

Thanks for your help!

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

LOL you're right, you need a good quality thermal paste too.

I think I take many things for granted....

as for the OP, THAT OC you want is fairly easy to get, since, as I said before, you DO NOT need to change voltages or anything else, just change the FSB from 333.33mhz (stock) to 400mhz, then check that the ram is running at 800mhz @ 1:1 ratio. that's it. save and exit and your set.

in your case you need to check 3 things before getting that OC:

-your ram is 800mhz or higher, or pc6400 or higher (both numbers mean the same thing)
-your motherboard allows you to change the FSB and set the ratio.
-your temps are not going crazy high after the OC.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks all.

The thermal compound I was (and until I can get to a computer shop still am) using was very cheap so I will go for a more expensive one. I had used too much of it before so I cleaned it off (except without any alcohol based remover, since I dont have any) and re-applied. Unfortunately it is running hotter now... so in this case, more was better...

As for the ram, I have 4x1gb Corsair DDR2-6400 which is clocked at 800Mhz (oh yeah thats what the 6400 means lol). My motherboard can change the FSB without any problem. (its the GA-EP45C-DS3R).

What type of removal fluid should I be using to remove the thermal compound properly when I am going to reapply?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
The Katana won't lower your temperatures much from the stock (don't get me wrong, it's much better than the stock HSF). I would suggest:

Scythe Ninja 2
Scythe Infinity 2
Xigmatek S1283
Xigmatek S963
...just to name a few that aren't really expensive like TRUE. Also, AS5, Tuniq TX-2 or Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 Carat are the TIMs I trust (have used all with success, currently have found TX-2 to be the best).

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Okay so a TRUE would look so damn cool (no pun honest). Is it possible to attach a fan to it? Doesnt look like it can be attached to it.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
TRUE = ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extrem

One of the best. But theres lots of good cooler. any 120mm CPU heatsink can be silent if you need it too. I had a TT ( ThermalTake ) mini typhoon that had a 92mm fan and i was able to run my E6850 to 3.6ghz ( 1.45vcore ) while having temps in the mid 50. I jumped to WC ater this ......

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I will have to take out the motherboard to properly install these, wont I :D

Not that I have a problem with that. Just assumed they would fit in when the board is in the case.