Q9450 rampage overclock

munchies

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Hi i want to oc my q9450, but i'm a noob :whistle: i have done loads of reading but just still not sure and wanted to see if any of u guys could help me out a little, i have messed around with the cpu level up thing on the rampage formula and set it to crazy and it oc to 3.5 i used realtemp and was getting 56 load but turned it back down didnt evan bother to test it anymore coz i knew it would probably be unstable, anyway what i wanna try to get is hopefully a 3.4 oc, so i would have to set FSB to 8x425? also i would set ram to 850Mhz? is this right? if so what else would i have to set and enable/disable. i just wanna rough guide to start of and go by, someone said to go up in steps, what would u recommend. once i know roughly what i'm doing i will start to understand very quickly as i do with most things but just need a little help at fisrt :)
thanks guys

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
keep a fire extinguisher handy, sounds like you're gonna need it

just kidding, you have the basic idea down, but the number one thing you need to do is do EVERYTHING in SMALL STEPS... overclocking can cause instability, and the smallest jump can throw your system off its game... you need to make sure, absolutely sure, that you increase SLOW and TEST... TEST... TEST... TEST... TEST...

I have a Q9450 also but i have yet to get a board to throw it in... previously, i had an e4300 running from 1.8GHz to 2.7GHz on air, with 4GB's DDR800 G.Skill RAM and an eVGA 680i board... i'm not going to go into details, but had i dared to go further, i could've gotten it to 3GHz easy, more than doubling the speed of the processor... here's a great link for overclocking noobs though... this is what I learned the basics from, it's for eVGA motherboards with the Phoenix Award BIOS but the concept is still the same:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=61146

I wish you luck, and seriously tho, small steps or you might really need a fire extinguisher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQUj1Huxsqs&feature=related

munchies

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
ok so i've set FSB to 350 to start with making it around 2.8Ghz, i changed ram voltage to what mine recommened (2.1v) and i changed the timings as they were stated on the packet, 4-4-4-12 from 5-5-5-18, i've left everything else on auto, is there anything else i should change myself? i'm using prime95 right now and using realtemp and cpuz heres what it looks liek so far
untitledha7.jpg

untitled2wx0.jpg

untitled3co0.jpg

does this look ok? also another thing i wanted to ask is do i have to run prome95 for 10 hours everytime i up the speed? coz doing that and going up in small steps coz take a week

munchies

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
ok for some reason my screen just went black and didnt do anything, pc was still on but i couldnt see anything so had to turn it off, then when i turned everything back to auto that my ram vol had gone down to 2.0 and now i can only change it upto 2.2 not 2.1? this oc stuff doesnt seem worth the hassle, i will look at it more tomorrow

munchies

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
i sorted the ram voltage thing out it was just me being dumb but yea anyway what would it be making my screen just go off? pc sound as if it was still running fine. i fully understand FSB but i guess thats the easy bit, i'm not so good at understanding nb and sb voltage pll and all the other ones lol, maybe its coz i'm tired i will have to spend a couple hours when i can doing some reading, all the guides are just scary they are so long and so many different things in em, by the time i've finshed reading it i've forgoten the start of it lol i need to start from the basics

halcyon

Splendid
You shouldn't have to do too much work for 3.5Ghz. You may need to raise your CPU voltage to 1.33+ (and then back it down to lowest voltage that's stable). You will likely need to raise your NB voltage (and watch your NB temps).