Q9450 with a 8.5x Multi?

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Hey ok, so im fairly new to overclocking, this is on my 2nd build, last one was a 3800 X2+ which overclocked fairly well for the time. Now i am using a Q9450 on a X48 DS4, i have a lapped true 120 (first lap job - went ok) at stock in my cold canadian house it runs 31-33 across the 4 cores, core 3 seems to run consistently 3-4* hotter though. Running at 3.2Ghz it idles around 35-36 Prime 95 makes her go about 41ish.

But Really the Important question i have is in my bios it allows Fine CPU adjust. Obviously this CPU is intended to be locked at 8x Multi, in BIOS i cant change this to 9x, but it will allow me to add .5X multi using this Fine CPU Adjust. The BIOS allows it but i havent tried booting it because i dont know what will happen? using a locked chip and a multi that it isnt suppose to run.

G

it won't work

but i like that you call it "this Fine CPU" lol

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
haha lol, no i meant like in the Bios its called Fine CPU adjust, but yeah haha i do think its a fine CPU though haha, qutie an upgrade from the Old AMD. yeah i figured it wouldnt work, oh well, im quite happy with 3.2 for now, maybe go bigger later, but meh runs what i need

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
Q9450 is meant to run at 8.5 multiplier at default, you should have check the manufacture spec before posting. people pay extra because of the 0.5x multiplier compare to Q9300 which has a 8x multiplier. you should select the highest multiplier to help you overclock higher and put less stress on the motherboard.

G

iluvgilgil i believe you mean the q9550 :)

you take the stock frequency and divide it by 333 and you get your multi

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
yeah i was kinda amped because i thought maybe they misbinned it or somethign, lol im sure Quality Control would have a fit, selling there 9550's at 9450 prices oh no, the profit margin just wouldnt do it... haha i kid because deep down i love intel, i love AMD as well, but i just remember as a kid always seeing the Intel ads on tv haha, i always thought they were sweet