Q9550 Overclocking

Vos17

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just built myself a new computer, and just looking at overclocking the processor for some better performance.
My Specs are.

motherboard: Gigabyte p45-ud3r
CPU: Q9550 E0
Memory: G.skill 4gb (2x2gb) 1066
GPU: Gtx 260
Heatsink Zalman CNPS9700

I want to overclock it to a nice stable frequency, without overvolting it and all that.
I am fairly new to overclocking and would really appreciate some help, especially from people who own the same
Motherboard i do, thanks for reading.

(note: The bios on this mobo are easy to understand but i don't see all the options people are posting about, i seem to have a bare minimum?)

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
I got the same motherboard, RAM but a Q9650 E0 (should be more or less the same).

What you want to make sure first is that your CPU temp during idle is ~30C and ~60C at full load (If it's much higher than that, I wouldn't recommend overclocking until you can get the temperature down).

If you go to your BIOS screen you should see a M.I.T option (motherboard intelligence tweaker).

I'd first set the PCIE Frequency to 100mhz instead of auto (auto is generally okay, but bad if you're going to overclock because you don't know its behavior).

With a E0 you should be easily able to increase the FSB to 400MHZ without changing any of your CPU settings (I'd suggest you change the AUTO->Normal).

If it POSTS and you can load to Windows, use Prime95 Large FFT or Blend Test to check for CPU/RAM stability. If it's not stable, you might need to adjust your NB voltage (I had to adjust my NB or MCH reference voltage from 0.76 V stock to 0.8 V stock and everything was stable, didn't need to change anything else).

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The terminology that your BIOS uses will be different than what an ASUS uses for example.
You want to set our PCI bus to 100, and set your ram multiplier to 2.0, then start playing with your FSB frequency.
You can get to a pretty high speed with everything else set to auto, but at some point you will need to watch voltages and temperatures. You'll have a very fast computer before then, but lots of us want to push it farther and really see what it will do.
I'm not an expert at ram and cpu voltages so I haven't pushed mine too far, but my E8500 and my Q9400 both reached pretty high speeds with the mobo setting the voltages, and with the voltages looking reasonable.