[SOLVED] Q9550

Sep 21, 2020
Heloo, I know system is old but it works for me. I use them only for running few VM

MB: Asus P5E 64WS Evolution with latest BIOS.
CPU: Q9550
RAM: 4 x 2 GB Patriot PSD32G160081
GPU: RX550 4GB Unlocked / RX560 with moded BIOS
PCIe X4 Asus U3S6 SataIII Controller

At stock speed my RAM runs on freq:

DDR3.jpg

Last night i attemped to OC and increase NB voltage just a litle and my SSDs went blank...
I restore everything to defaults but data is gone... NP I installed W10 again. Strange thing that everything is OK until I put my GPU under load when driver is patched. Non patched works perfectly but cant get 1080p ( Fixed IDK how ??? )
First attemp again is 3391. Multiplier of 8,5 and FSB on 399, and it is stable. Second try FSB 420 - seems stable except high temp under stress test. Must put new thermal paste.
Third try 440. It post, initiate dirves, boot and gpu dont make troubles. For me enough because I need stabillity. My question is is my RAM speed OK since it is 1600MHz memory, and problem is clock, it goes about 10 min early each hour.
Is there any suggestions or recommendations for this OC?

Solution
It reach 90degrees C
them optimists tho...I don't want my i5-4690 even on 70+ degrees. Neither do I want a k-cpu to run hot around. But nvm, I've never been any keen on overclocking.
I read later that SSD probably loose partition table due excessive OC
omfg
So basicly this RAM will perform better with another ( new generation ) CPU ?
I guess the Q9550 or q9650 would keep it moving with close to 1000 MHz, maybe not even that much. Systems, utilizing 1600 MHz normally are socket 1150 systems. On sockets 1156 and 1155 depends on motherboard, as I know. At least for socket 1155...
Anyway there is no point to masacre this CPU.
Sounds good.
is is my RAM speed OK since it is 1600MHz

I don't think your ram is actually capable of running normally at this speed here. Maybe the 9550's Controller was capable of just going 800, maybe 960-1066 MHz with overclocks, hardly up to 1333. This is a cpu made for ddr2 systems with just being compatible for working with ddr3. I wonder why you press this system that much, it's more than 11 years old and if I was you, I'd want cpu, motherboard and other things to survive for as much as possible.
I'd recommend you to save money for a system of socket 1150/1155 with an i5/i7/xeon processor there, so that your ram would run 1333-1600 MHz stable for sure and you wouldn't complain. 1156 is also a thing, but I dislike some things about the s.1156 motherboards. 1333 MHz (or should I call it 666 MHz=1333MT?) is still a thing today, but if it runs normally.

Sep 21, 2020
I holding it at 4.1 and it is stable, just coolling is problem. I have some Coolermaster fanless cooler, but anyway they ( they )put fan on it. It reach 90degrees C and thermal throttling start. I read later that SSD probably loose partition table due excessive OC. So basicly this RAM will perform better with another ( new generation ) CPU ?

I see everyone change voltages when OC, I still did not touch anything. Strange to run this FSB on stock voltage. When benchmarked, it achieve better score than my 4 months old i3 10-th gen, but this is comparing apples and frogs.

Anyway there is no point to masacre this CPU. This conf wait for router software and this is it. Board is great with lot of expansions and 2 Gigabit LAN cards.

Last edited:
It reach 90degrees C
them optimists tho...I don't want my i5-4690 even on 70+ degrees. Neither do I want a k-cpu to run hot around. But nvm, I've never been any keen on overclocking.
I read later that SSD probably loose partition table due excessive OC
omfg
So basicly this RAM will perform better with another ( new generation ) CPU ?
I guess the Q9550 or q9650 would keep it moving with close to 1000 MHz, maybe not even that much. Systems, utilizing 1600 MHz normally are socket 1150 systems. On sockets 1156 and 1155 depends on motherboard, as I know. At least for socket 1155...
Anyway there is no point to masacre this CPU.
Sounds good.

Solution