Question q9650 cooling options.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, i have a pretty elderly gaming PC comprising of an intel dq45cb motherboard, Q9650 CPU, intel 160gb SSD, a Barracuda 500gb HDD as my 2nd drive, and 8GB of samsung ram, yeah its old, but with the gtx550ti GPU its got (gtx780 coming soon) it copes pretty well, other than the occasional bottleneck the card gives me, my only issue is heat.

I know that these can run hotter quite safely, and that the fan management / throttling arrangement on these old Q45 boards isn't brilliant (it'll let itself get up to nearly 90c and STILL won't ramp the CPU fan up to full) but all in all its just annoying, so im wondering what cooling options i have for the CPU.

The case has 3x 80mm fans and 1x 120mm fan, all pwm operated from the 2x 3 pin fan headers on the mobo, both sets are on splitters, so the front and top inlet fans (80mm) are on the front chassis header, and the 2 rear exhaust fans (1x80, 1x120) are on the rear chassis header, and im satisfied that this case arrangement is ok, as the assembly and airflow temps never go over 35c regardless of load or time.

attached imagery is firstly of my temps after running prime95 for 10 minutes, the 2nd is the currently fitted stock / unbranded cooler that came with the mobo, and the 3rd is of another lga775 intel cooler that i have one of in the shed from an old core2duo pc my father in law had a while back, i don't wish to remove and swap the coolers without first knowing if it'll make any difference or not, primarily because i hate those plastic clips that clamp the cooler down, as they always feel like they're about to break. I settled on the fitted one when i built this a couple of years ago as has a taller heatsink and slightly larger fan, so i presumed bigger = better.

If nothing i already have is likely to yield any worthwhile results (case, fans, cpu fan, heatsink cleaned today, and fresh arctic silver paste applied around a month ago, none of this changed a thing) then is there something aftermarket that is still available for this ageing setup?

Many thanks in advance :)

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Ok, a temporary workaround is using a program called throttlestop, which allows me to change vcore and multiplier values, obviously only downwards as I don't have a tuneable motherboard, but for now knocking the vcore down to 1.25v from the standard 1.275v, and the CPU multiplier down to 8.5 from 9 gives me idle temps of 46 on average over all 4 cores and 74 on core0 which is always the hottest core anyway, the game I play primarily is wreckfest, which is vastly GPU intensive from what I can work out, so running the processor at 2833mhz as opposed to 3000mhz hasn't made any difference to how it games.