q9650 mislabeled cpu?

Oct 11, 2018
hi...

i just bought a q9650 chip and installed it and when my computer powered on it said it was a q9400 chip... on the chip itself it says q9650... did i just get scammed?

i have a dell optiplex 960 mini tower with 8gb ram... if the chip was incompatible wouldn't it say so at some point? computer works perfectly fine with the new chip... it's just that it says it's a q9400...

much thanks in advance...

it may be reporting that because its a prebuilt pc.

which means the CPU may not be fully supported by the motherboard or may need a BIOS update to take full advantage of it

but the first thing you should do like was already mentioned run a program like CPU-Z and see what it detects the CPU as

Oct 11, 2018
i downloaded CPUZ and it showed me that it was indeed a Q9650 3.0 GHz but the computer was saying q9400 right after i swapped out the cpu and now it says Q9650... does it take a while for the computer to show that the cpu was changed?

thanks!

it should identfy it correctly right away. it must be some kind of bug in the BIOS or like i was saying before. your motherboard doesn't fully support it that model of CPU