Q9650 or E8600

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hello...,

I'm planning to uprgade my CPU in the very short time, there are 2 candidates that cross my mind Q9650 and E8600 and I'm having a tough decision which one would have the best performance, and is it worth every penny if I upgrade to quad core?

I decided not to put i7 in my consideration because I've to upgrade my memory and motherboard which is breaking almost all my savings if I do that. Right now I'm using E8400, Asus Rampage Formula and 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2. Most of the time I use the computer just for gaming.

Please help me to decide.

Thanks.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
If you have an E8400 already, it is certainly not worth it to upgrade to E8600. If you can handle the cost, then Q9650 or Q9550 are really the only upgrade processors for you.

Also without knowing your other parts, it might even be a better option to get a video card instead.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Dont do a thing and OC the E8400
E8600 gives u a little more headroom but not worth getting a whole new Processor

Q9650 gives u 2 more cores, but having a dual core already....it doesnt matter. Save the cash for a future system (Sandy Bridge /shrug)

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
uhh??

We suggested in not upgrading but u start looking anyways?
I think u didnt get our point....ur perfectly fine. Atm ur looking at no performance change

Get a gpu instead...it will actually do something if u game

Even if you get a Q9650, you won't see any real difference compared to the E8400 if you're gaming. At 3.0 GHz, the E8400 pretty much maxes out most GPUs for almost all games.

Upgrade to a Q9650 if you want to play Crysis while running PC-defrag, bittorrent, winrar, media player, adware & avg scans in the background...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You have a good CPU now. If you aren't overclocked, then get a good aftermarket cooler and overclock it. For gaming, your best bet for upgrading is to concentrate on your video.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If you are only gaming and not heavily into video rendering/encoding then a quad core is not worth the update and would be more difficult to overclock if you really want to squeeze out more framerates from your GPU.

Save your cash for your next logical CPU upgrade - the i7. But if money burns a hole in your pocket, use it now for a larger monitor.

Maybe he needs the power for GTA/Crysis? Quads are starting to show noticable improvements in FPS in newer games compared to Duo's, and a duo-duo upgrade makes no sense.

Besides, once these chips start to dissapear, their cost is going to jump due to rarity. Better to buy now and not have to worry about it. If he can afford a Q9650, there is no reason not to upgrade and max his 775 platform.