[SOLVED] QHD 144HZ G-Sync Gaming Monitors With 2 Display Ports

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I was wondering if anyone knew of any 1440p QHD G-Sync Capable Gaming monitors which support 144hz and 1ms response time and includes TWO display ports on the monitor?

Most of the monitors I've seen only have one display port... Or is there a way around this?

Solution
1ms means a TN panel which is lower quality. On a 144Hz panel a 4ms response time is plenty to show no obvious ghosting of the pixels. You really want IPS unless it's solely a budget issue which GSYNC is not.

Also NVidia is now starting to add some Freesync monitors to their supported list. One of the main differences though is potential color shifting due to no OVERDRIVE functionality (at least on none of the Freesync monitors they just announced).

2x DP?
I doubt it due to how GSYNC works with a dedicated module. Even one of the most recent, $2500 monitors only has one DP input and I don't think the HDMI input works with GSYNC.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/9tNv6h/asus-rog-swift-pg27uq-270-3840x2160-144hz-monitor-pg27uq

(I...
1ms means a TN panel which is lower quality. On a 144Hz panel a 4ms response time is plenty to show no obvious ghosting of the pixels. You really want IPS unless it's solely a budget issue which GSYNC is not.

Also NVidia is now starting to add some Freesync monitors to their supported list. One of the main differences though is potential color shifting due to no OVERDRIVE functionality (at least on none of the Freesync monitors they just announced).

2x DP?
I doubt it due to how GSYNC works with a dedicated module. Even one of the most recent, $2500 monitors only has one DP input and I don't think the HDMI input works with GSYNC.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/9tNv6h/asus-rog-swift-pg27uq-270-3840x2160-144hz-monitor-pg27uq

(I don't understand why they can't simply switch between the inputs. They obviously do that anyway for all monitors with more than one input... perhaps it's some lag/latency issue.)

Solution

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

I have an HDMI port but I believe that would top out at 60hz. Basically, I'm trying to setup to gaming machines attached to one monitor. One is a ITX desktop and the other is a laptop w/eGPU. (I'm running out of space on my desk. :) )

All G-Sync monitors have exactly the same ports: 1x HDMI 1.4 port and 1x DisplayPort 1.2 port. This is because all of them have the same internal control chip, the G-Sync module provided by NVIDIA.

The only exceptions to this are some of the early models using the V1 G-Sync module (which had 1x DisplayPort port only, no HDMI), and a few newer models using the V3 G-Sync module, which supports 2x DisplayPort 1.4 and 1x HDMI. This module is reserved only for G-Sync displays that actually need the extra bandwidth of DP 1.4 (like 4K 144 Hz monitors), just the G-Sync module itself is estimated to cost around $500.

I would advise just getting a FreeSync monitor, NVIDIA is adding support for it.

go7hic13

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

That's interesting to know... Is there a switchbox I can get which would allow me to go from on display port to another display port in QHD while keeping G-Sync and 144Hz Refresh rates. Just something which switches which cable is going into my monitor at the time. I know HDMI has them but they are at 60hz so it doesn't impact the the display preferences too much.