[SOLVED] QL vs LL fans

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Hey All,
First and most importantly, Happy Holidays to all of you, fingers crossed for next year!

I currently have 14 Corsair LL 120 fans. I want to replaced them with the QL's, but it's too expensive to replace all at once.
You know where I am going with this, the idea is to buy a three pack every month for a few months until they are all replaced.
What I am curious about is, has anyone had first hand experience if QL's will work with LL's? I know the lighting effects will be "wonky" as the LL's won't do the same patterns only having 16 LEDS as opposed to the 34 LEDS on the QL's, I can live with that.

I read in another forum that someone who plugged an LL fan into the node that comes with the QL fans fried every fan on the node.

From looking at the outward appearance, they appear the exact same, I just didn't want to start such a project if it's gonna "fry" something.

Thanks so much.

Solution
Shortages in suppliers can understand but price gouge can not. A bit like ps5 situation. LL fans doing ok I am happy to wait. Think paid $115 for LL 3 paks just few months ago how times changed. Hear predictions maybe July-August for supply to normalize guess we see then :)

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Please forgive but how it fry because he plug QL in.

Awhile back when building pc I was following someone on youtube who try help people with corsair icue. It not hard once you do it but seems it difficult to get there. But his video help immensely. He run 9 LL120's and during course of education video he swap out 3 LL120's in the favor of the QL120 and I agree with reasons and want do same maybe. Corsair fan expensive so not in any hurry here. He did another video showing results and convince me it something I wish to do.
Can't offer any suggestion how somebody fry there fans unless they plug into wrong header. Here I am using the commander pro and lighting nodes, guessing you do same.

Last edited:

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
As I read the post "they" claimed that the nodes that come with the newer QL's are slightly different in wiring inside the units???? not sure about that. Although, as I say, from the outside appearance they seem exactly the same, but read that this gentleman that plugged a LL into the node that came with his new QL's, apparently it fried all six fans on that node. Other then that, I haven't heard any down sides other then the lighting will be a little screwy until ALL my 14 fans are QL's, which I can live with :) My set up is slightly different, no commander pro. I use modules that run the fans at full blast as soon as the system starts up, noise does not bug me, they aren't loud anyway at full. And I use three nodes. So at anytime at least one node will have 3 LL's connected and 3 QL's connected, but I am happy to hear that other then some wonky lighting it should be all good :)
Could you possibly link me the video Happy Trails? and thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Sorry it take some time to find. Found this to be one of few video with good value but it been awhile since watched. Maybe he talks more about LL vs QL in there. For me found it good to help make sense. Only run 6 fans but have 9 rgb that needs connect. Need to buy pirate cables off ebay to finish and just procrastinate.

Not happy with how much QL cost on amazon that supposed to be corsair store. Pricing is very high not like when I buy the LL fans got good deal from them.

Last edited:

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I was in the same situation, when I purchased my LL's I got a pretty good deal, but yep, the QL's are very expensive. Thanks for that link. I also tried to buy some of the three pack QL's and not wanting to go over the $174 price tag, and using partpicker, no one has then in stock right now :( they were 3 days ago, guess everyone got some money for Xmas :)

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Shortages in suppliers can understand but price gouge can not. A bit like ps5 situation. LL fans doing ok I am happy to wait. Think paid $115 for LL 3 paks just few months ago how times changed. Hear predictions maybe July-August for supply to normalize guess we see then :)

Reactions: Brian_278
Solution