[SOLVED] QNAP NAS and changing subnet

S2Charlie

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
So due to the fact that my ISP includes (requires) their own router (which is garbage) I hardwired it to my own router which uses the 2 subnet and all my devices operate off that (192.168.2.1) is my default gateway. With my NAS defaulting to 192.167.1.35 the subnet doesn't match which makes my Media server connection wonky and the NAS thinks I'm a remote user. I tried to change the IP of the NAS to 192.168.2.35 with the default 192.168.2.1 but when I do, the connection is lost and I can't access my NAS until I do a reset (pin in the back for 3 seconds, networking back to subnet 1) I'm pretty basic where networking is concerned, I have a feeling I'm doing SOMETHING wrong, but have no idea what. I'm trying to change these settings in the QNAP suite on the NAS through my PC browser. Any advice would be very helpful.

Solution
Make and model routers?

What ports are you using to connect the routers?

Is DHCP disabled on the ISP provided router?

Is the NAS configured with a Static IP address that is also reserved for the NAS on your router via the NAS's MAC? And that Static IP address should be outside of the DHCP IP address ranged allowed to the router.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model routers?

Is the NAS configured with a Static IP address that is also reserved for the NAS on your router via the NAS's MAC? And that Static IP address should be outside of the DHCP IP address ranged allowed to the router.

Solution

S2Charlie

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Make and model routers?

Okay...
DHCP is probably on as the cable company wants to make it EASY although their router suite is extremely limited.
Cable Box/Router/Modem combo uses 192.168.1.1 and it's feeding my ASUS RT-AC87U which is using 192.168.2.1 and feeding the ENTIRE network thus all my subnets are "2" but, for some reason, my NAS which is in line on the SAME line, decided it wanted the subnet "1" no idea why... 192.168.1.35

S2Charlie

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
You know... the cable co. "technician" took my Cat 6 feeder for the basement splitter and plugged it into his modem... I feel like a dope, I don't know how I missed that