QNAP TS-453 Pro-8G NAS Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The TS-453 Pro is a powerful, reliable and scalable NAS suitable for SMB environments, according to QNAP. We're ready to benchmark this appliance with 8GB of RAM, revealing how it scores against the competition in this price range.

QNAP TS-453 Pro-8G NAS Review : Read more

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Any chance you guys could review: Zyxel NAS540

I'd love to see how above reviewed product stands against €226 Zyxel NAS540.

@blackmagnum old computers usually have old big inefficient CPU(overkill for NAS), sitting in big old, ugly,dusty case.

For NAS you want something small, efficient, cool & quite. It's better to sell old PC and get NAS ready to go solution or build your own from scratch.

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Could you please test the Ts-453 or ts-451 with all SSD's array? Or just try the 3x HDD + 1 SSD cache acceleration disk and add results. Im really thinking of buying a SSD cache disk for my Qnap but can't decide. Also recommend what SSD to buy for? I hear SSD would need DZAT, not sure if Intal or Samsung supports that. Please investigate!

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
In the next reviews I will do this (use a single SSD as cache). However I don't know if any of my next NAS reviews will be posted here.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I have a mobo with one of the J1900 chips (ASRock Q1900M) and it's a surprisingly capable little chip. Since it has a few PCI-e slots I'm tempted to turn it into a NAS with some SATA adapters.

Slap in FreeNAS or just a good Linux distro w/raid and it'd be good to go.

Eggz

Distinguished
Why are these expensive NAS boxes still on 1 Gbps interfaces? That's such an old standard! Aren't there 10 Gbps solutions in a similar form factor? I am pretty certain I recall seeing some small 10 Gbps NAS solutions that would be much faster, and I think someone would be able to make one for less money than this.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
it depends on the files you transfer. Also the charts don't depict the peak speed but the average through the entire transfer.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Why are these expensive NAS boxes still on 1 Gbps interfaces?

10Gbps is still expensive. If you want your whole network 10Gb, I don't think I've seen a "small" hub with less than 8 ports or less than $250. I suppose you could get a 1GB switch that happened to have a single 10Gb port for switch-to-switch uplink, but then you are talking about bigger switches (24 port) and it's still several hundred bucks.

Not that you couldn't put all this together at bargain basement prices, but then you are building a 10Gb network architecture around a dinky 4 disk NAS. No business would be likely to do that....they'd be paying for a larger NAS and a fatter pipe.

the3kgt2

Honorable
Mar 12, 2015
Don't leave your old PCs sitting around go to waste... make a NAS box today!

Electricity is very expensive. Power usage will make your custom NAS end up costing way more than a device like this. I had a custom Linux fileserver as our main storage server and a custom HTPC acting as both a media server and player. I tweaked all power savings settings as much as possible, yet combined they were eating 200watts idle, nearly 400w under full load. I just replaced both systems with a TS-451 and my lower electricity bill will pay for this thing within a couple months. The Kodi application via the built-in HDMI is flawless and plays anything I throw at it. A Windows VM in QTS runs Media Center Master, HDHomerun with WMC, etc. The built-in QNAP apps run my websites and e-mail servers. It's mind blowing how powerful this tiny thing is and how obsolete it makes dedicated servers at home.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
<I> As far as storage goes, the unit can take up to four hard drives, so if you use 6TB disks, that's up to 24TB before formatting </I>
Yeah right, a dummy would take the risk to run in a RAID 0 configuration, then he loses 1 drive and he loses all his data.
Most likely the guy will be on RAID 5, he will lost 1 drive or RAID 10 and loses 2 drives, so the real maximum capacity is 18TB in RAID5 or 12TB in RAID10.

ykki

Honorable

Yeah, we GET it.:fou:

Eggz

Distinguished

Quantenna is making a 10 gbe router in the home FF due out later this year. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/04/15/the-insanely-fast-wi-fi-router-youll-probably-never-need/

You could just pop a 10 Gbe PCI-e card in machines, as well as the NAS, and - BOOM - all of a sudden you have a small post production studio editing 4K content from a little NAS server box. You could even fill it with TB SSDs if you wanted.

Even before that comes out, though, you could network computers directly in a small office without a switch.

But, I agree, that it'll be exotic for a while.

elbutchos

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I know it is not supposed to support 16GB RAM but please guys bust this myth.
Thank you in advance.
Is working perfectly with 16GB or RAM :)

Many Thanks. What memory did you use ?
I'm planning to get Kingston KVR16LS11/8 but not sure if it will work and I don't want to throw the money out the window.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Hey, sounds like you have a business model!

radzio

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
I know it is not supposed to support 16GB RAM but please guys bust this myth.
Thank you in advance.
Is working perfectly with 16GB or RAM :)

Many Thanks. What memory did you use ?
I'm planning to get Kingston KVR16LS11/8 but not sure if it will work and I don't want to throw the money out the window.

Did you buy and test this RAM :>?

Status
Not open for further replies.