qos download restriction

panoSs

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Hello!

I would like to know if with software such as ddwqrt or tomato I can restrict download speed of devices through qos. I am not talking about port range filtering but actual download limit. I had an asus ac router and could restrict upload, and clients through port range but as far as I recall download speed wouldn't be restricted.

If not what would you recommend to do? We have 50Mbps net but every time someone opens a video or something without qos the in game ping goes from 30-50 to 1000 or so.

Please I am not very knowledgable with networking so if you can try to be as specific as possible.

Many thanks!

Solution
I use the pfsense traffic shaper. There are a few ways to do it. I feel like the best is to pipe all your UDP traffic or just from your gaming machine into a pipe. You can start with 3Mbs and increase it until the latency drop isn't bad. On my TCP pipe I use queue based QoS to make sure streaming gets priority over downloading. This part is tricky, because a lot of downloads use port 80. I only have one pc that does a lot of downloads so I throttle it.

There is a per ip dynamic pipe that will allow each device a % of bandwidth. I feel like that's not needed since gaming doesn't use much.

HFSC queue based QoS has the best settings for low latency out of the queue based ones. I've found better results with a small pipe for UDP though...
I use the pfsense traffic shaper. There are a few ways to do it. I feel like the best is to pipe all your UDP traffic or just from your gaming machine into a pipe. You can start with 3Mbs and increase it until the latency drop isn't bad. On my TCP pipe I use queue based QoS to make sure streaming gets priority over downloading. This part is tricky, because a lot of downloads use port 80. I only have one pc that does a lot of downloads so I throttle it.

There is a per ip dynamic pipe that will allow each device a % of bandwidth. I feel like that's not needed since gaming doesn't use much.

HFSC queue based QoS has the best settings for low latency out of the queue based ones. I've found better results with a small pipe for UDP though. HFSC is the most complicated to setup.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS