QoS for Motorola MG7550 Modem/Router?

bigdan8

Commendable
Aug 3, 2018
I recently got this unit and I'm trying to minimize bufferbloat but according to the manual, the QoS is built into the WMM settings. When I go there, there's no way to configure anything and I can't figure out a way to cap my upstream to about 90% so that way it'll cut down on the overall bufferbloat when the upload is used.

Can anybody help? I'd appreciate it.

Solution

limiting for bufferbloat is very tricky. a single limiter with no AQM won't do anything for you. you will just have less bandwidth. trying to create two pipes to separate traffic can work. matching connections to the right pipe isn't easy.

I'm not sure what yours is capable of. if you want to control bufferbloat to reduce latency on small bandwidth flows then the qos I suggested is one of the best solutions. if your line is under provisioned no limiters or qos will be highly effective.
I don't think that device has the ability to set QoS.

WMM is a useless feature that almost nobody can use but for some reason all router manufacture have it.

It main purpose is to allow video and other media to be favored when a router transmits data into the wifi network. It is very rare that someone would overload their wifi network, maybe someone with a specialized video server but the wifi bandwidth is huge. It does not fix the much larger issue in wifi of interference that causes slow downs.

In any case it is used for WiFi not your internet connection.

only one qdisc handles bufferbloat very well. fq_codel is available on edgerouter x, ddwrt, openwrt, and ipfire.
the ERX is only $50. you will need your own wifi AP. It's limited to speeds <100Mbs. If your download is greater than that ipfire can handle multigig.

limiting for bufferbloat is very tricky. a single limiter with no AQM won't do anything for you. you will just have less bandwidth. trying to create two pipes to separate traffic can work. matching connections to the right pipe isn't easy.

I'm not sure what yours is capable of. if you want to control bufferbloat to reduce latency on small bandwidth flows then the qos I suggested is one of the best solutions. if your line is under provisioned no limiters or qos will be highly effective.

Solution