Question QoS Packet scheduler in Windows, is it needed or useful?

Jul 12, 2023
I'm wondering if anyone knows some or full scope on this feature in Windows, if it can get in the way, or if it's not needed for a home user like me, with a router, smart TV and another computer connected to the router.

I rather rule out any features on Windows that are not needed as no one knows how poorly things are implemented in the background.

Do you actually have so much network traffic competing for bandwidth INSIDE your machine that you would need something like this. It can not do anything about other machines or traffic outside your machine. It also only matters if you are going to exceed the bandwidth of your ethernet port and 1gbit of traffic is a lot.

Jul 12, 2023
Do you actually have so much network traffic competing for bandwidth INSIDE your machine that you would need something like this. It can not do anything about other machines or traffic outside your machine. It also only matters if you are going to exceed the bandwidth of your ethernet port and 1gbit of traffic is a lot.
Thank you for your reply and for the nice and simple explanation of this feature. Interesting. Ok, so it is only to do with what happens inside my machine only.

Regarding bandwidth in my machine, would this relate to what network applications I'm using? So at best my PC will run a multiplayer game and discord (voip software) at the same time.

Yeah, I won't ever exceed my 1gig bit port, I'm only on a 70 mbps package anyway.

It's looking like then, that this feature isn't needed for my scenario?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Lets say you had a program that ran backup to a local nas at the same time as you tried to play a game. You could in theory use a feature like that but it would be much simpler to just set the backup to limit how fast it ran.
It would have to be that for some reason you had to run 2 programs that would compete for traffic but had no control over the bandwidth either uses.

The thing I tried using it on was to limit the bandwidth microsoft update uses. No matter what I did it would run as admin and bypass anything I tried to do.

Jul 12, 2023
Lets say you had a program that ran backup to a local nas at the same time as you tried to play a game. You could in theory use a feature like that but it would be much simpler to just set the backup to limit how fast it ran.
It would have to be that for some reason you had to run 2 programs that would compete for traffic but had no control over the bandwidth either uses.

The thing I tried using it on was to limit the bandwidth microsoft update uses. No matter what I did it would run as admin and bypass anything I tried to do.

Ok, thanks bill for your input. (y)