[SOLVED] QoS settings for a desktop?

millerterryt

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I'm just looking for what settings to enter in on the QoS page so that I can improve my internet connection for my PC and avoid having video streaming from other devices connected to the network from taking up the entire bandwidth. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, where would I find 'Select source IP information' and 'Select destination IP information'? What DSCP Classification should I use?

View: https://imgur.com/a/bQ9XNkZ

Respectfully,

Terry

Solution
The router manufactures are just trying to fake the public out when they put DSCP on a router. This parameter does absolutely nothing on a internet connected router. It can be used in a enterprise setting where all the network is completely private and controlled.

DSCP is purely a packet marking. It is no different than if you could put a paste a gold star sticker on your data. It means nothing at all unless someone defines rules that say it gets some better priority.

The big scam is as soon as the ISP gets the packets they strip off all this information. If it actually did something you could set your traffic to be more important than your neighbors.

Pretty much unless there are other screens that let you in someway...
The router manufactures are just trying to fake the public out when they put DSCP on a router. This parameter does absolutely nothing on a internet connected router. It can be used in a enterprise setting where all the network is completely private and controlled.

DSCP is purely a packet marking. It is no different than if you could put a paste a gold star sticker on your data. It means nothing at all unless someone defines rules that say it gets some better priority.

The big scam is as soon as the ISP gets the packets they strip off all this information. If it actually did something you could set your traffic to be more important than your neighbors.

Pretty much unless there are other screens that let you in someway limit traffic by bandwidth or something similar you are wasting your time. You likely need a different router.

Your other problem is what are the people that are watching video going to say if your restrictions cause stalls or poor quality on the video. Whose traffic REALLY is more important. Most time it is the person that pays for the internet connection.

QoS is not some magic that increases your bandwidth it just decides who does not get the bandwidth they really want. You can actually accomplish the same thing by getting agreements that people limit when they use video or try to watch at lower resolutions. The QoS just electronically enforces rules.

Solution