QOTD: Are You Going 32 or 64-bit for Win 7?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
64 Bit Windows 7. I work for a large university, and the area that I am in charge of, we will either be running Windows XP 32bit or Windows 7 64bit.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
64 Bit Windows 7. I work for a large university, and we skipped windows vista all together. So we will either be running XP 32 bit or Windows 7 64bit.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]fucktardd[/nom]off the top of my head, the only reason you would stick with 32bit apps over 64 bit is possibly the program in question is either outdated/or too costly, most apps now days are backwards compatable, so maybe buisnesses that are still running old software and win2000 might run into some problems. @Zirbmonekyabout a year ago when Vista and x64 was new, i ran into a few customers that asked specifically for a 32x OS, they happened to work for small companys that ran proprietary software, in the long run i bet they'll have someone rewrite the app for 64 bit, but its probably so miniscule that it dosent require heavy computing power.@fautso what game are is in questions, and the answer to your question is yes, unless you're runnning King's Quest VI or something like that ! lol@ x486 machines, that was the day[/citation]

@fucktardd Will there be a performance hit when running a 32 bit game in 64 bit OS? how much?

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I'm running the 64-bit RC on my laptop as I write this post. Haven't had any issues out of it, using mplab IDE 8.30, xilinx ISE 9.2 (and version 11) on a regular basis for school. So no doubt in my mind 64-bit is the way to go

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
x64! 6 GB of RAM, and can tell u guyseven though it's not everything that works on 64 bit, it's not even close to be as bad as most people thinks.

G

32 bit will die when all the major hardware manufacturers out there can actually develop reliable 64 bit drivers...until then, 32 will thrive, end of story. Personally, I use 64 bit and struggle through the madness of trying to find drivers that actually work with my hardware.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
IF I decide to go Win7, I'll go 64-bit. But, I'll keep chugging along with 32 bit XP pro because it supports alkl the games I like to play and my scanner and webcam.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
64bit everything. Mac, Win7, even Linux. Installing ANYTHING new that's 32bit is simply not in my plans. Yes, this means some old devices might not work with my stuff, but apps can be emulated (even in a VM if I really have to). Curenetly, i do not own a single device or peripheral, except my wife's old laptop, that isn't compatible with 64bit, so i made the switch, even under XP...

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Using 64bit on the RC with no issues so far (besides issues with the non signed TAP64bit virtual network driver so I can use OpenVPN/P2PVPN... still working on getting that to work nicely)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]cimtaurus[/nom]Why on earth would anyone choose to go 32 bit anyway?64 for me.[/citation]

Er... because some drivers or programs are NOT compatible. At one of my places of work, there is a $5000 plotter that still prints as good as new. There were some issues with a previous 64bit driver and so the computer is still a 32bit system. So, unless YOU'RE willing to buy them a NEW $5000 printer...

If a computer has 1~2GB of memory (especially 1), the 64bit OS will run even slower and eat up more memory. 64bit OS requires more memory and HD space.

The only people who need 4+ GB RAM and 64bit OS are data centers, workstations working on HUGE files, some gamers as only a few games actually use more than 2GB of RAM and of course Vista.

Win7 runs surprisingly well with 1GB.

PrangeWay
I'm not a caveman. 64 bit 7 for me.

Are you sure? Windows 7, so easy - even a caveman can do it.

G

It's funny but what would make the difference between 32 and 64bit?
At this moment there's not much (except for different drivers, and perhaps more RAM).
Most programs run fine on 32bit,and it is questionable if 64bit will so much improve programs; let alone improve OS responsiveness.

Another issue might be, if we look at the many bugs found in 32 bit programs, would 64bit programs not introduce more than twice the amount of bugs?
They say that a 64bit system can become a more stable system, but look at how many security patches we need to install on Windows 32bit!
I have the impression, if we don't fully master 32bit, 64bit will be a disaster security wise.
I might be wrong here.
There's maybe a reason Windows 3.1 and 3.11 stayed in business for that long in Army subs. The sub-32bit system was way more secure in many ways than any Win9x, win 2000, win Me, Xp and vista together!

G

64 bit...been running w7 RC without any major issues...only problem I had was with an older Linksys wireless adapter, but I was able to scoop up the necessary drivers from a 3rd party over the internets

kaninelupus

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Made the move to x64, withonly 2GB of RAM (upgrading to 4GB when have a little spare cash). Great performance/stability, all hardware & peripherals supported (even my 7yo CanoScan). Never been happier :)

G

I'm currently running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 RC even though I have 2GB RAM but it works perfect! :DDDDDDDD

Dave76

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
64 bit, using Win7 RC 64bit and it's great, no problems since the Broadcom wireless update. My laptop is Vista 64bit. Pre-ordered 2 Win7 on sale, both will be 64bit. Let's accept that the change is already here. If you like XP or 32 bit, then use it, for as long as you are able.

reparatorii

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Windows 7 RTM 64 bit, full of crap!

If you install some games and they make update to directx, system will suffer. Other problems: when I key press ' and " they act strange, they don't appear, only after I press space. Other problems, the IE stopped for 300 times, unexplicably, with all add-ons off. Maybe the symantec internet security 2009 mught be the problem, I don't know, the moziile works verry well. Other problems, my network works lame, the adapter dies, no network connection detected. Should I continue? In romania the salary is 300 euro, so the price of this OP is way expensive. The hardware for it to work right costs atleast 500 euros, so for me the w7 is a no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.