QOTD: Are You Going 32 or 64-bit for Win 7?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

64-bit, though there's really no point to it as things stand right now.

We still won't need more than 4Gb for the foreseeable future and with Microsoft's choice of releasing a 32-bit version of Windows 7 there won't be any 64-bit software for this OS either.

Why would any company bother producing 64-bit software when 32-bit runs on both systems? Barring driver-related software, obviously.

64-bit is the future, never doubt that, but until Microsoft release an OS that doesn't support 32-bit other than for backwards compatability it will remain the future instead of becoming the present.

G

64-bit, though I really shouldn't bother.

I won't run more than 4Gb for the foreseeable future and with the 32-bit version existing, and thus precluding any release of 64-bit software unless drivers require it, it's likely going to remain future-proofing for a future that's a long way off.

Not even Vista should have been released in 32-bit flavors, my 2003 CPU had no issues running 64-bit code nor does any computer sold in this day and age.

G

I haven't decided yet, but probably 64 bit. My main concern with 64 bits will be extra bugs and loss of frames while gaming. Does anyone else share my concerns?

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Ironworker16[/nom]64 bit. I using windows7 RC right now, I had one 32 bit app I need to use and was able use it in the xp mode.[/citation]

That statement doesnt make sense. 32 bit apps run on x64 OS's via 32bit emulation. Its not that the app doesnt work on x64, its that its makers havnt bothered to patch it in over 3 years to match the new registry/file system. Either that or you havnt gotten a newer version

joex444

Distinguished
Anybody sticking with 32-bit because they do not anticipate having more than 4GB is no wiser than those who ran 1GB systems and were amazed anybody would bother with 2GB. Basically, foretelling the future is impossible and to limit yourself to 32-bit now when you may need it in 2 years is, to be politically correct, retarded.

jrewolinski

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
What happened to "Vista will be the last OS that supports 32-bit." I mean I know 7 is very similar to Vista, but does MS every live up to their goals? Where's the new Windows File System they promised in Vista too...

But, yes to answer the question...been running 64-bit since late in the XP x64 game, and will continue to...it's the future.

Clones123

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
32-bit. I'm using windows 7 RC right now and it's been flawless. The only time I ever see over 1GB of memory in use in Task Manger is on the rare occasions when I run a WinXP Virtual PC that I've assigned a full gig of RAM. Even then, I don't exceed 2GB of memory in use in Win7 (I have 3GB of DDR2 installed). Also, I've got to say that I'm put off by the huge number of hardware complaints I read from users who almost invariably run Vista-64. What do I need 4GB+ of RAM for?

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I don't think it would be wise to invest in upgrading any machine not capable of running the 64 bit version.
And i see no reason to run 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine (other then maybe net tops and netbooks though the upgrade is in my humble opinion to expensive for those systems any way.
Any system that has to stay 32 bit either because it lacks power or because it need to be 100% compatible or any other reason i would say just let it run XP.

For those systems there are many *nix based alternatives any way and those might even do a better job depending on your intentions with a machine like that.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This IS Tricky:

Vista is a resource hog. The bottom end $300~370 PCs have 3GB with dual core CPUs. Higher end models have 6~8GB. The jump of memory from 512 > 2GB for a bottom end basic PC to browse the web and check email is lame. Yeah memory is cheap, but 2~3GB to do what a 512mb PC can do just as well the year before? So yeah, 64bit with Vista IS more important.

But I've installed Windows7rc on a 5 year old AMD32 2.0Ghz w/512mb. It still boot up and shuts down faster than Vista on a NEW notebook (weeks old) with 2GB. I've added another 512mb and the desktop is even more responsive.

I've installed Win7 onto my notebook (1GB) with a low-end CPU, since I was about to do a clean reinstall of XP anyways, I figured why not. Win7 flys on the notebook and its only a 1GB system. Adding another GIG is easy, of course.

So, since Windows7 runs GREAT with 1~2GB of RAM... then 64bit is NOT needed by the masses. Only a few games and 3D Apps can make use of 2+GB of RAM, even less can make use of 4GB. And installing 64bit Windows7 would suck up more memory if its 4GB of less.

For gamers with 1GB+ video cards and 4GB of RAM, 64bit Windows7 is a must. With PC gaming going downhill, who knows. With 3 computers, 2 will be 32bit, a 3rd... maybe 64bit.

If Windows7 was the bloated mess like Vista, it would be 64bit hands down.

G

64 bit all the way. Things have progressed since XP 64. (As in 64 bit stuff actually works now). Though I can't imagine what the baby boomers will do, as this will undoubtedly be a scary new world for them. "OMG why do my apps from 1995 get installed in a folder called Program Files(x86) ?!?!?!?!?!"

tomtom_32

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
when switching to vista 2gigs of ram wouldn't be enough for me and by upgrading to 4 gig the obvious choice was the 64 bit.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
64 Bit Beta is running smooth as Butter. It cut's through large video files like swiss
cheese. I Can't amagine going back to 32 bit software ever again.

G

There is no reason for a 32 bit version. Anyoen who doesnt have 4 gigs of ran has no business installing windows 7 or vista anyway. Stick with xp, it will be faster on your old computer anyway, 7 or vista will jsut make your old computer run like crap. If you have 4gig+, and you want to use vista or 7, then there is no reason at all to install 32bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.