QOTD: Do You Buy Online Gold for MMOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I don't what means the question but as i write this there are two google ads above related to sites to sell WoW Gold...!
Maybe tomorrow comes a better and more serious QOTD...

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Never have, never plan to.

For me...if the early levels of a game are so boring that I feel the need to pay past them, then I'm better off playing another game.

Additionally someone buying their way to levels and gear for many cheapens their own feelings of accomplishment.

I would prefer for all MMO companies to follow SOE's footsteps and offer servers for people who want to do that sort of thing. At least that way the people who want to buy gold etc. are paying the company that is developing the game. It also (in theory) helps reduce the number of people playing on my server that feel the need to buy their way up.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I did a while ago when I hit 60 on my rogue and I wanted my bad ass purple skeletal horse. I was working 6 days a week and I didn't have the time to farm elemental water all day long in felwood for 1000g so i spent $40 which was a little time at work vs hours of grinding.

I got tired of wow around the end of lvl 70 season 2 and stayed until season 3 then quit. But I really hope a good mmo comes out soon I didn't like AOC, Warhammer, and even less Darkfall.

Tiberiusfury

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I bought 5k gold, back in Vanilla WoW.
When I consider how long it would have taken me to farm it, I consider it a very good investment. I have to consider my hourly wage in real life versus the hours of mindless grinding it would take to get the same thing.
The only thing I didn't like was that I had to send a money order to China, and I was very concerned that I would be scammed.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Gold selling/buying ruins the game's economy. Gold becomes easier to get, auction house prices increase, and the legit player gets screwed because they have to grind more and more to keep up with the inflated economy. Blizzard acts like they care to some extent, but I reported a fishing bot every day for 2 months straight, and nothing ever happened to him. I finally discovered a way to get him killed using near-by mobs(he was in a home faction area, so he wasnt pvp flagged) and proceeded to kill him every day, and eventually he left. He never got banned or blocked because that character would log in on occasion. But boy howdy, if your automatic account billing doesnt go thru for your $14 a month to play (bank declined one time for no reason, plenty of funds available) it took an act of God to get my account unfrozen. Apparently a declined CC transaction = fraud to them.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I used to Bot WoW... until i maxed 5 toons on the one account. I haven’t played it for years now. Basically after I hardcore a toon to max I just start botting for something to do… Have done this in about 5-10 MMORPG’s

Yes, I have bought gold to get an account going quickly… generally so I can start Botting.
***I only used funds from items/gold/characters I have sold previously, my paypal game fund***

You would be surprised how much monies are available if you actually try to make some cash… I sold an account in Asheron’s Call for $2000.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I buy gold, I work and do not have the time it takes to farm it myself. Nor do I enjoy the grind time to farm enjoyable. I want to do the fun parts of the game and skip the crap parts, and when opportunity to do so is available, I take it. I have cash, someone else has time, I figure it is win win for both of us. I enjoy the game more, they get money.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]avericia[/nom]I got tired of wow around the end of lvl 70 season 2 and stayed until season 3 then quit. But I really hope a good mmo comes out soon I didn't like AOC, Warhammer, and even less Darkfall.[/citation]
They all get boring after a while… I am still amazed at WoW’s following; I was bored of that game after about 3 months!

I have tried almost all the MMORG’s now and I have come to the conclusion that after you have played one to any extent, you have played them all. After “X” amount of time you’ll sit back one day and say to yourself…. “Why am I playing this game? What do I really get out of all these hours?” Then you get bummed out and start looking for a new/better one to replace then previous one. Eventually you come to the realization that the first MMORG you ever got into will be the best and nothing else matches it…
Then you start botting!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I don't play MMO's. I tried Runescape a long time ago and got bored. It had really bad graphics too. My old room-mate once gave me a free trial of WoW. That got old pretty quick too.

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
As one of the previous posters pointed out, buying gold hurts the overall economy of the game via inflation. Not to mention the fact that if you suddenly have a crap-load of uber gear it's going to be pretty obvious to all the people you play with what you did, and most players don't smile on such behavior. So you may quickly find yourself alienated using such practices.

In regards to using services to power level your character, if you have already played a character of the same class previously (perhaps on a different server), and are just wanting to make another one quick I suppose it's ok ... if you don't mind putting your personal information/account at risk. If you have not previously played the class you are power leveling however, this is insanely stupid. Yeah, you will get a high level toon ... but you won't have any idea how to play that class of toon effectively. The only way you learn to do that is starting from scratch and leveling it up yourself. And it will be blatantly obvious to other players if you do this. If you have a lv 60 toon and have no idea how to use it people will spot this in a second and it will pass around the server quickly and soon you will find it nigh impossible to get in to a group as people will want nothing to do with you. And it would serve you right.

As far as getting good gear though I like EQ2 in that most of the best gear is No-Trade which means it cannot be bought. You have to go earn that for yourself. With the advest of the commissioning system I suppose it would be possible to 'buy' shard gear in an indirect fashion but that is a whole lot harder to pull off then just buying some gold and tweaking yourself.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Chris, don't you have like 6 level 80's or something?[/citation]

I level a Pally to 80 specc'ed Holy. I don't think I could ever level another toon after that.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Nope, nada,

...I don't think I would feel like I earned anything or accomplished anything if I did that. I mean, to me, what is the point of playing the game if I am going to do this? Part of the game is finding items to sell in the game or auction, at least to me it is.

Btw, nice graphic up top, but Tabula Rasa is gone! Like Auto Assault before it! =\ I miss Auto Assault!

and I would never sell gold or items to even my friends, part of the fun to me also is helping them out by giving them things I collected and earned or spending my hard earned gold to get them something to start them out if it isn't something I can make/craft for them.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
"Gold selling however, really became mainstream when World of Warcraft hit the scene several years ago."

I have to disagree with this statement. Gold selling has been around a lot longer and has mainstream way before WoW was ever around. UO and EQ I would say brought it mainstream. As far as buying it no, but I did think about selling it when I was playin UO.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]...around a lot longer and has mainstream way before WoW was ever around. UO and EQ ...[/citation]

EDIT:...around a lot longer and has been mainstream way before WoW was ever around. UO and EQ...

Man can you guys add an editor? Sheesh.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]"Gold selling however, really became mainstream when World of Warcraft hit the scene several years ago."I have to disagree with this statement. Gold selling has been around a lot longer and has mainstream way before WoW was ever around. UO and EQ I would say brought it mainstream. As far as buying it no, but I did think about selling it when I was playin UO.[/citation]
I agree, Wow didn't bring anything new to the gold selling seen except 8 million potential buyers.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Considering the gold selling industry, at least for WoW, feeds itself almost exclusively off hacked accounts? No. I will not support an industry that does its business at the expense of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.