QOTD: Do You Think the Word 'Piracy' is Too Sexy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I know when I download content of a dubious legal nature I am ensure that I am wearing 1) eye patch, 2) cutlass, 3) faux peg leg 4) parrot on shoulder. If the term was changed I wouldn't be able to dress so cool!

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
They can change the word all they want.

It's too late for that. Arr!

And piracy will never go away. Especially in countries when the average wage is low.

The only thing they might be able to do to decrease piracy is to offer a better experience for the user. (like steam)
0 day HD downloads... flat rate (or very cheap) access to music / movies / tv shows. But they're still to greedy. (or maybe they realize the internet infrastructure in the USA is not ready for that)

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I see way too many people here giving exscuses to pirates. This worries me, and makes me assume there are many people here who steal.

If it were me, I would change the word from 'pirate' to something that I could not post here.

Simply because there is ZERO things right about 'pirating'.

Now go ahead and thumbs down me, it's on the top right of the post.

Sorry my stance is actually correct, not 'cool'.

PuckerFactor

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
All this because a series of recent movies makes the word Piracy sexy?...We have to change a perfectly good accurate word because of a movie? So the industry changes it to Content Thief..and then a few years later we a a smash hit movie called "The Sexy Thief" starring Jonny Depp and Jessica Alba....do we have to find a new word again?

ElysianMerc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I can see where they are coming from but it does not change the fact that some people's favorite color is Free. I doubt the average person that pirates media does so to earn the title or pirate.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i specifically want to burn things because of the world Piracy. Oh wait, thats retarded. I want to steal stuff because someone has to hold these mega corporations and state/federal government responsible. Since they can't even manage a carnival the best way to hold them responsible is to take tax dollars away from them (or profit dollars away from the original publisher).

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]dfusco[/nom]No, it's not what THEY call us. It's how we define ourselves.[/citation]
Ah, but once you posted on the Internet how you proudly define yourself as a pirate, then we all know you are just some broke teenager, with broke parents who can't afford to buy you a video game so your time is spent searching down the latest, trojan/keylogger infested torrents to install and feel you've done something "leet".

Meanwhile, all you've done is help ensure the integrity of a real thief's botnet while playing some broken ass game with no ability to participate in multiplayer.

Yes, all hail the pirates?

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Here is how you "fix" this issue
Stop making CD's I would doubt there is a single person in the US that couldn't find a Computer with a Cd-Rom Burner, so go digital only Songs are 25 cents a track and seeing their is less up front cost because you don't have to master CD"s both Artists and Recording companies will make more money, and for Games make them free (listen up) games are free IMHO I hardly ever play a game for more then 4mths so all games are digital download free with a monthly 10 Dollar charge. once again with no upfront cost to master a CD the Companies make the same if not more profit. Just my Two Cents and this is comming from someone that Owns ALL of there MP3's and Games

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]The only word that would work is Pedofile.[/citation]

Slight segway about 15 years ago some company issued an ad for P0RN so hot it is banned in most countries they took people's money then three months later sent them back a check stating that laws wouldn't allow them to ship to the purchasers country the checks expired 90 days from date of issue as most company checks do and over 90% of the purchasers didn't cash the checks because they were from a company with a name like Child_p0-rn Inc

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Piracy is stealing and it is a crime. Just because something does not represent value for money does not give anyone the right to steal. No-one is demanding you experience said product, it is a choice to pay what it costs or do without.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]PuckerFactor[/nom]All this because a series of recent movies makes the word Piracy sexy?...We have to change a perfectly good accurate word because of a movie? So the industry changes it to Content Thief..and then a few years later we a a smash hit movie called "The Sexy Thief" starring Jonny Depp and Jessica Alba....do we have to find a new word again?[/citation]

First off, pirates were cool long before Depp, two words..."ICE PIRATES." Secondly, yes, if "The Sexy Thief" is half as good as you make it sound, we would change the term again. By the way, do you have a release date for "The Sexy Thief?"

Nutjob

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
If someone downloads a movie they would never buy, how is hollywood losing money? I mean if the internet suddenly got shut down, would that make everyone start buying awful movies? no. Hollywood had the same concerns about the vcr when it first came out, they were worried everyone would be recording movies from their tv's and it would end the movie industry.

mdc837837

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
call it what you want, people that are currently pirates will still be pirates under a new name. They wont stop just because of a name change. that's ridiculous to think they would

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
you lose 1.2 mln jobs but you'll get 1.2 mln lawyers in return; it evens out.

but really, thief (theft) would make a much more useful label. It's ironic that Caribbean helped romanticize pirates right when online piracy is booming.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]noodlegts[/nom]I think they have a point. Pirates are portrayed as being cool in lots of movies where in real life they were just thieves and murderers.Not to get into this whole debate again, but piracy at the end of the day is a crime. You're essentially taking something that someone has worked hard for and using it when you have no right to it. In that sense it's actually a bit like theft.[/citation]

No, it is NOTHING like theft. Legal definition of larceny follows:

"The unauthorized taking and removal of the Personal Property of another by an individual who intends to permanently deprive the owner of it; a crime against the right of possession."

It's not like theft because you never remove the original item or deny them their possession of said item.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Piracy makes me think of a Futurama episode that included the disclaimer: "You're watching Futurama! The show that doesn't not advocate the cool crime of Robbery."

Piracy definately romanticises the crime of stealing someone elses property. If we refered to it as digital petty larceny, it wouldn't sound as cool, and kids definately wouldn't be proud to call themselves "digital petty larcenists".

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'll admit that I download movies/games now and then, so I guess that makes me a "pirate". I have to agree with nutjob above. I'd be pretty pissed if I paid for something and found out it sucked. A lot of the stuff out there is absolute crap. I do pay for games/movies that I enjoy, so I'm one of those pirates that only really steals stuff and then throws it away (deletes it) if it's crap, otherwise paying for it. Maybe less pirate and more 'informed consumer'? That sounds too cool. Let's change it to Viking.

Status
Not open for further replies.