QOTD: Do You Think the Word 'Piracy' is Too Sexy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]sykar[/nom]Changing the word won't change anything. I am a "pirate" btw, I download movies, games and music, If I like the product a lot I will buy it but as I am a student I wouldn't have access to all of the stuff I watch and play if I paid for it. Also, the whole DRMing companies are deploying will all eventually be cracked so developing them and using them is a waste of money for them, a waste of time for the consumer and inconvenience for the consumer.[/citation]

Dude. You are a thief. Stealing because you can't afford something doesn't make it not theft. Who do you think you are, Aladin??

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Who the hell else besides pirates would think the word is sexy? Yeah, stealing games and discouraging developers to make PC games is soooooo sexy. wtf.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]No, it is NOTHING like theft. Legal definition of larceny follows:"The unauthorized taking and removal of the Personal Property of another by an individual who intends to permanently deprive the owner of it; a crime against the right of possession."It's not like theft because you never remove the original item or deny them their possession of said item.[/citation]

Right. That's what pirates say.

You are not allowed to use something without paying for it. How about we lump Piracy into the same pile as getting on the sbuway without paying, or sneaking into a concert without a ticket. All these things are illegal. Get it straight. You're not fooling anyone.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Just think about it morally. If nobody paid, these services wouldnt exist. So you're taking advantage of something without compensating the creator. Does that seem fair to you? Does that seem moral?

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
from Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: pi·ra·cy
Pronunciation: \ˈpī-rə-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural pi·ra·cies
Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratēs pirate
Date: 1537

1 : an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery
2 : robbery on the high seas
3 a : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b : the illicit accessing of broadcast signals

I'd say that piracy is the right word. Tuff.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I don't like it when the word "moist" is used to describe cake because that term has a very gross ring to it. It means what it means though...

oren

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I think both sides of the argument have validity. If someone downloads something and likes it enough to keep it then yes it should be paid for. When I consider a game, I always look for a demo. If a demo is not available, I will pass until the title hits the bargin bin while keeping an eye on player reviews. If I like the demo enough to keep playing the game, I gladly pay the current price. As of a couple nights ago, I became the owner of my very own key to Torchlight. They had a demo, I played it, I like it, I paid for it.

Publishers are too fixated on getting the maximum price per unit. Scale back the marketing budget and sell twice as many units at $40 instead of $60. Economies of scale is a wonderous notion.

Then there are publishers who like to create artificial shortages (I'm staring a hole right through you, Disney). I'm sure more than a few of us have heard that tasty little morsel in TV ads, "...get your copy now before it goes back into the vault!"

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
The results would go the other way from intended. If they change "piracy" to a new word, instead of changing the way people feel about committing the act, what will happen is the connotations/meaning of the new word will change to be less bad.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Soon, with all this monitoring and suing going on... pirates will need to become ninjas. You want to get your Warez without paying a penalty? You must appear and disappear without a trace.[/citation]

You made me lol.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]smithereen[/nom]You just a made their point. If people take publisher's products for free, it's impossible for the publishers and artists to make any money. They're not claiming the pirates are making money, their claiming the pirates are making it impossible for the artists and publishers to make money.Alright, hmmm... who other than the artists and publishers deserve the "credit and money?"[/citation]

My point is with somewhere around 5% royalties, the artists (the ones who do all the work) get screwed while the greedy publishers take millions for almost doing nothing.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
But we're talking about a criminal act. We're talking about making it impossible to make a living from what you do.
There was time when horse-buggy was the main form of transportation. When new form of transportation (trains and automobiles) was invented many horse-buggy drivers could not make living from what they used to do. Did we criminalize the trains and autos! No, we did not. Why the hell we are criminalizing the new distribution methods. Because RIAA and MPAA have more money then brain,and they can buy any law they want (a.k.a DMCA). When the congress passes laws with out consensus the civil disobedience will start. Piracy is direct result of ignoring consumer needs and rights. Only way to fix it is to restore the balance. Changing the names will not do.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]spoofedpacket[/nom]...then we all know you are just some broke teenager, with broke parents who can't afford to buy you a video game...Yes, all hail the pirates?[/citation]

It's the elitist attitude like that the "pirates" don't like. (Yeah, it does sound sexy. ;) ) But hey, who am I to judge if you don't mind blowing your money for more restricted version of the same thing others get for free? You do have a point about multiplayer. Really though, what is the point with all the hackers and aimbotters? I was playing BFBC2 beta (for which I do actually own a copy of the final game) and the multiplayer was so jacked up with bots that I considered canceling my pre-order. Turns out that the final PC version was unplayable in MP for 2 weeks (for many, but not all) while EA/Dice sorted out punkbuster issues. At that point, they had my money and I had nothing, and as we all know there are no returns on opened media.

Pirates: 1 Legitimate buyer: 0

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Piracy is a crime. There's no doubt about that. We can debate all we want, but when "pirates" get caught, they get charged more than 7 THOUSAND dollars per item they pirated. So if the authorities find just 100 pirated songs, that "pirate" is fined a minimum of 700 thousand dollars. They realize that, (or at least that it's a crime) when they start downloading, so I believe the important question is: Is it wrong?

The main contributors to piracy are the incomes of the producers and the wages of those pirating. Would people be pirating if a copy of a new movie cost 5 bucks? No. But they're not, and it's become standard in this day and age to be well-informed on various types of media, and if you're not, you get laughed at. So, say they don't pirate it, say they just want to see it once to be informed and not get laughed at. One viewing costs, on average, 8 dollars at a theater or 4 dollars at a rental place. Many people (from low-middle class income) only end up with between 100 and 200 dollars to spend each month after taxes, bills, and expenses. That means they're being charged nearly 10% of the money they have to spend on entertainment in an entire month to "view" a movie "once."

Now, let's look at the income of the producers. James Cameron's Avatar had grossed $2 billion dollars on February 4th. A month and a half ago. Off of movie tickets alone. Now, that didn't all go to James Cameron. They do need to make up the amount it cost to create (which, btw, it cost them $300 million to make) and make a profit so they can pay everyone who worked to make it. But $2 billion. That's 667 times the amount they paid to make it. that means they had a gross income of 66.7 thousand percent of the cost of making the movie. Imagine if you were able to turn a month of income into a 66.6 thousand percent profit. Say you earn $3000 a month after taxes. You would have 2 MILLION dollars. And they have yet to release the movie in SD, HD, and blu-ray. And then they intend to release the movie AGAIN in 3D later this year (for, I'm sure, a whopping price somewhere in the 60 dollar range). Now, Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, not all producers can get a money wheel spinning that fast and that hard, but the worse movies also cost less after release, and go down in price faster. So the ratio is maintained.

Now, is piracy legal? No. Is piracy right? No. Products are made and sold to turn a profit, and their creators deserve remuneration. However, is it also right for James Cameron and his crew to turn a 66.6 thousand percent profit when they've only received HALF the income they're going to get from this movie? In my opinion, absolutely not. Even for Avatar. (Though that is a great movie.) That's enough money to buy several countries. They have enough money to buy multiple countries out of their pocket cash. And we have to pay 10% of our monthly entertainment budget to "view" their product once? No, it's not right. But it's the law.

So the question facing all of us is do we stand up for what we believe? Or do we follow the law?

Or, in my case, both, and coincidentally I usually end up making no impression at all because I take my stands on youtube and tomshardware in comment boxes. And I shell out my 10 percent. -sigh-

Oh, and by the way, that's how much Avatar made while being pirated by half the internet. 1.2 million jobs will be lost my big fat jigglin' butt. Piracy doesn't "make it impossible to earn money" it just reduces the amount of small countries they can purchase, so they whine about it. Well they can keep whining, because even while being pirated James Cameron and his crew are in a position to buy Italy.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]If they change it to "theft" it would be said that it's "adventurous". Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer wanted to be a famous leader of bandits, for example. The underground, the outlaw, will always seem to be a dangerous and attractive idea. So changing the wording to something negative will do nothing.If you want to deter pirates, use reverse psychology and call them Saviour Angels! XD[/citation]
Call me a Saviour Angel and I will dress in white with bright back lighting have a halo on and still download movies and programs :p

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
No, I don't think it's being over sexualized. I do believe piracy is overrated though and blown out of proportion. It kills me to see those Corporate punks mainly from the MPAA/RIAA preaching at how evil we all are and damn near support "Terrorism" like the old Bush days where if you did drugs you supported "The Terrorists". Anyone remember those commercials?

It's a shame both the music and movie industry have had some of there highest sales in history these past few years and yet if an album or movie flops PIRACY is to blame! No NO NO not the overpaid actors who force $20 million dollar contracts on producers, no its not because the musicians made a crappy album its because of PIRACY!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
HAHA! I initially laughed at this article because it made me think of when certain people wanted to change/drop the name "food-stamps" because it just had a "negative" aspect to it...how lame.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I think they need to change it to Ninjapiracy. When a ninjapirate steals something you don't even realize it's been taken (just like P2P file sharing). No one would ever want to be called a ninjapirate. Everyone knows ninjas and pirates = lame...

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
What's sad is that taking and using someone else's IP without consent limits forward innovation.

Imagine if a scientist took credit for Edison's first major invention, Edison would not have had the fame or the capital to create new inventions.

The same works with game development and art. PC gaming would be more advanced if there was more competition, but look at how many developers have gone to crappy ten year old technology consoles?

The only people that these cool "pirates" are hurting by stealing games is themselves. I mean hey, if you're going to take my ideas why would I want to keep inventing stuff to share with you?

Another example: If the Chinese are going to rip off GM's cars and sell them worldwide at a lower price because they have none of the R&D costs then why how could a corporation like GM survive? (No, I'm not a fan of government owned auto makers. Its an EXAMPLE!)

Games are INVENTIONS. They are created by TEAMS of people who WENT TO COLLEGE. Pirates are often times poor pothead bums who sit at home on their mommy's dime and are too lazy to go to school and make money. That's why they don't respect those who do work hard to make a living and reap the benefits of hard work. Yes, I'm right in saying this...I go to LAN parties and I know who the people are that have little respect for others. It's simple and easy to pirate but it takes years for a developer to make a great game. Keep that in mind when you're stealing. You can do it in five minutes. They work hard for upwards of one and a half years. Sure they get paid. That's why they went to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS