QOTD: Do You Think the Word 'Piracy' is Too Sexy?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Soon, with all this monitoring and suing going on... pirates will need to become ninjas. You want to get your Warez without paying a penalty? You must appear and disappear without a trace.[/citation]
While being a pirate can be pretty sexy, ninja is good too.

specialed_58

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I would venture to say that the "Founding Fathers" of America and probably of most coutries were and stll are branded as pirates, thieves, murderers and the like but, eventually their opposition to the powers that branded them as such proved to be more beneficial overall than the harm they inflicted. Those who defend the huge corporations should examine the value they get for the dollars they pour into the corporate bottomless pit and ask themselves...am I receiving good value for my hard work. So, if your not a trust fund baby, you may have to earn money.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
No point in changing the word, as the act would remain the same.

I'm fully in favor the "free" software that can be found on the web... and I am also fully in favor of humans being compensated for their labor.

Personally, I justify the two by never keeping a program/game that I've downloaded (for "free trial" purposes) if I can afford to purchase the actual software... and/or the product is something that I'm interested in. (ex: I grab a program that blends people's faces... not something I would ever pay $10.95 for... even to cure boredom.)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]specialed_58[/nom]I would venture to say that the "Founding Fathers" of America and probably of most coutries were and stll are branded as pirates, thieves, murderers and the like but, eventually their opposition to the powers that branded them as such proved to be more beneficial overall than the harm they inflicted. Those who defend the huge corporations should examine the value they get for the dollars they pour into the corporate bottomless pit and ask themselves...am I receiving good value for my hard work. So, if your not a trust fund baby, you may have to earn money.If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....[/citation]

Nobody is forcing you to buy media. It's a luxury. If you don't buy it it will become surplus and become cheaper. I don't think 10 cents for a song is asking too much. If you don't want to pay $20 for a CD you don't have to, but stealing it isn't justified, whether you steal the actually CD or one that someone else copied. Its still stealing the CD - and it DOES make prices go up, because the artists can't make music with their time for free. I'm in agreeance that top popular artists get paid too much, but no matter how you look at it you're stealing and you're justifying. The music and rights still belong to the maker. The problem is the ones doing the stealing are the general public, and have no real respect for the artists they're stealing from. Blame the capitalist system if you don't like it, but don't harp on artists. They're just trying to live their dream.

random_yggdrasil

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Well at a educated guess the work "Piracy" would come from pirates so there saying pirates are sexy and it miss leads the word "pirate" to be a sexy person who steals things... God so misleading they should change the names of "pirates" to some thing not misleading like it is, What about those sexy drug dealers and bank robbers in the movies I guess they need new words for them to :s or even some of these movies where the sexy girl from another country is breaking into the pentagon :O she's a terrorist crap shes hot and sexy tho guess we need a new word for that to... and it wont make the smallest of difference I think people pirate media and programs well to not have to pay for them not to be called a pirate, Dont take my word for it I may be wrong :p

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bearracuda[/nom]Piracy is a crime. There's no doubt about that. We can debate all we want, but when "pirates" get caught, they get charged more than 7 THOUSAND dollars per item they pirated. So if the authorities find just 100 pirated songs, that "pirate" is fined a minimum of 700 thousand dollars. They realize that, (or at least that it's a crime) when they start downloading, so I believe the important question is: Is it wrong?The main contributors to piracy are the incomes of the producers and the wages of those pirating. Would people be pirating if a copy of a new movie cost 5 bucks? No. But they're not, and it's become standard in this day and age to be well-informed on various types of media, and if you're not, you get laughed at. So, say they don't pirate it, say they just want to see it once to be informed and not get laughed at. One viewing costs, on average, 8 dollars at a theater or 4 dollars at a rental place. Many people (from low-middle class income) only end up with between 100 and 200 dollars to spend each month after taxes, bills, and expenses. That means they're being charged nearly 10% of the money they have to spend on entertainment in an entire month to "view" a movie "once."Now, let's look at the income of the producers. James Cameron's Avatar had grossed $2 billion dollars on February 4th. A month and a half ago. Off of movie tickets alone. Now, that didn't all go to James Cameron. They do need to make up the amount it cost to create (which, btw, it cost them $300 million to make) and make a profit so they can pay everyone who worked to make it. But $2 billion. That's 667 times the amount they paid to make it. that means they had a gross income of 66.7 thousand percent of the cost of making the movie. Imagine if you were able to turn a month of income into a 66.6 thousand percent profit. Say you earn $3000 a month after taxes. You would have 2 MILLION dollars. And they have yet to release the movie in SD, HD, and blu-ray. And then they intend to release the movie AGAIN in 3D later this year (for, I'm sure, a whopping price somewhere in the 60 dollar range). Now, Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, not all producers can get a money wheel spinning that fast and that hard, but the worse movies also cost less after release, and go down in price faster. So the ratio is maintained.Now, is piracy legal? No. Is piracy right? No. Products are made and sold to turn a profit, and their creators deserve remuneration. However, is it also right for James Cameron and his crew to turn a 66.6 thousand percent profit when they've only received HALF the income they're going to get from this movie? In my opinion, absolutely not. Even for Avatar. (Though that is a great movie.) That's enough money to buy several countries. They have enough money to buy multiple countries out of their pocket cash. And we have to pay 10% of our monthly entertainment budget to "view" their product once? No, it's not right. But it's the law. So the question facing all of us is do we stand up for what we believe? Or do we follow the law?Or, in my case, both, and coincidentally I usually end up making no impression at all because I take my stands on youtube and tomshardware in comment boxes. And I shell out my 10 percent. -sigh-Oh, and by the way, that's how much Avatar made while being pirated by half the internet. 1.2 million jobs will be lost my big fat jigglin' butt. Piracy doesn't "make it impossible to earn money" it just reduces the amount of small countries they can purchase, so they whine about it. Well they can keep whining, because even while being pirated James Cameron and his crew are in a position to buy Italy.[/citation]

Wow. This has to be the dumbest comment I have ever read on Toms.

1. "That's 667 times the amount they paid to make it." - No, you idiot! Thats 6.67 times the amount they paid to make it.

2. "that means they had a gross income of 66.7 thousand percent of the cost of making the movie." - No, you idiot! That means they had gross income of 667 percent of the cost of making the movie.

3. "Many people (from low-middle class income) only end up with between 100 and 200 dollars to spend each month after taxes, bills, and expenses. That means they're being charged nearly 10% of the money they have to spend on entertainment in an entire month to "view" a movie "once." - No, you idiot. 10% of $100, or $200 is $10 and $20. To "view" a movie once costs $4 (per your example. I use redbox, so it costs me $1 to view a movie once) that means that you can view 2 to 5 movies per month (or 10 to 20 if you use redbox)

But whats even worse about this guy's comment is that 2 people gave him a thumbs up.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]"But we're talking about a criminal act. We're talking about making it impossible to make a living from what you do" Oh? Last time I checked no one made money from giving things away for free....the only thing I could see making money are paid sites and those responsible for selling SceneAxx, which are the few and elite. 99.9% of "Pirates" make absolutely no money by P2P/torrents, they simply save money instead of filling the pockets of filthy corporate monsters.Change the word, do what you want, but it won't change the fact that your STILL making millions while you criminalize anyone who thinks you don't deserve all the credit and money.[/citation]

They are talking about taking money away from the people/companies who produce and sell the goods, not the pirates. You can say, “instead of filling the pockets of filthy corporate monsters”, but without those corporations, you wouldn’t be able to dl the products in the first place because guess what… they aren’t there. And those filthy corporations that make the products you download employ your neighbor, your friend or your family. Not don’t get me wrong, ISOhunt is on favorites quick link tool bar at the top of Mozilla. But I’m not going to pretend it’s a victimless crime that hurts one in the long run. And while I wouldn’t have bought many of the programs or movies I DLed in the first place, there are a few I probably would have rented (more on the movie side, no so much on the software end).

Also, you act like a company making money is a bad thing? If companies wouldn’t make money, there would be no reason for innovation or competition. Without profits, there is no R&D. There is no Radeon 5 series cards or . Companies need to make profits. The one problem I see with companies though is that the landscape is changing and they aren’t willing to adapt and it’s hurting them. Though it’s not my favorite, companies like Steam are the way of the future with regards to DRM, not what EA and others are doing.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]annisman[/nom]I see way too many people here giving exscuses to pirates. This worries me, and makes me assume there are many people here who steal.If it were me, I would change the word from 'pirate' to something that I could not post here.Simply because there is ZERO things right about 'pirating'.Now go ahead and thumbs down me, it's on the top right of the post.Sorry my stance is actually correct, not 'cool'.[/citation]

Like everybody?

Im not giving a dime to the music industry... If they want money, they can do live shows.

Im ripping every movies by renting them.

I pay for my games cause I care.

btw, you are not correct. A download does not mean a lost sale by a 1:1 ratio, its not even close...

Thumbed down!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Bamslang[/nom]They are talking about taking money away from the people/companies who produce and sell the goods, not the pirates. You can say, “instead of filling the pockets of filthy corporate monsters”, but without those corporations, you wouldn’t be able to dl the products in the first place because guess what… they aren’t there. And those filthy corporations that make the products you download employ your neighbor, your friend or your family. Not don’t get me wrong, ISOhunt is on favorites quick link tool bar at the top of Mozilla. But I’m not going to pretend it’s a victimless crime that hurts one in the long run. And while I wouldn’t have bought many of the programs or movies I DLed in the first place, there are a few I probably would have rented (more on the movie side, no so much on the software end). Also, you act like a company making money is a bad thing? If companies wouldn’t make money, there would be no reason for innovation or competition. Without profits, there is no R&D. There is no Radeon 5 series cards or . Companies need to make profits. The one problem I see with companies though is that the landscape is changing and they aren’t willing to adapt and it’s hurting them. Though it’s not my favorite, companies like Steam are the way of the future with regards to DRM, not what EA and others are doing.[/citation]

Discreet GPUs are quite hard to pirate...

BTW, many PC games distribution methods work quite well. Just look at Blizzard or Steam, they make money by the truck load. Quality products, no overzealous DRMs and fair prices.

Piracy will kill the greedier players in the industry, we call that evolution. Who will miss Ubisoft? I wont.

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Note: I don't pirate/steal/ninja.

I think that many people will stop stealing games, when the DRM stops stealing those games that people buy... Spore, I hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.