QOTD: Do You Want Nvidia to Make CPUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think it would be good if they did. Sure their CPU's at first may not be amazing but if they offered them at a lower price and if they could make them the best bang for the buck then they could end up being a popular choice. This would also be great for us as the prices would lower and more selection is always a good thing.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I like how nVidia went from being the bad guy for their failing bumps (Geforce 8600 products) and unethical naming schemes (8800/9800/240, among others), to the good guy because they'll challenge Intel. I still think they're a borderline unethical company lead by a clinical psycho with a big mouth. That being said, competition is always a good thing, so long as Intel and the courts allow them to enter the competition.

G

Is the Intel (x86/64) so embedded that a New Type of processor, probably more effecient with a whole new instruction set, that Intel can't be controller of come along? Or is it like Windows, and just have to live with it? Or is the x86/64 the most effiencent we can have?

If nVidia is looking to just copy the x86/64's don't think I would really care one way or the other.

HermDawg

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Yes, why not? And I hope Nvidia does well at it just to show Intel what's up. I think Nvidia making CPUs will help introduce innovation industry wide especially in the category the Atom processors are in just like AMD's 64 bit processors did with mainstream processors.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Compition is great, but the final straw that will determine if nVidia is successful is going to be the people it hires and places in charge of executing the business plan. That along with whether Intel decides it has had enough of nVidia the puny and uses it's new GPU to crush nVidia on the GPU side of things. It has potential to do this, if it's GPU is really as powerfull as everyone thinks it is going to be. I do not think that nVidia could compete if it does not have a strong GPU position to absorb the initial loses required to do all the Research and Developement of making a competitive product as well as the initial low prices that will likely be required to obtain some market share, and more importantly, along with that market share, respect.

jstrode

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I work at Intel, I want to make that clear. 1. Everyone wants a company to grow, to expand, and to make shareholders rich. When they get too big, everyone jumps on the wagon insisting they are too big. Microsoft is being investigated because they include Internet exploder as an integral part of their OS. No one complains when MAC does this with Safari, or Opera, because they are not large enough to pose a threat. Intel is being investigated by EU, and the New York attorney generals office about price fixing and paying resellers when they sell more Intel CPU's than AMD. (I actually think that is good business) - the New York case is significent, because guess what, that is where AMD has a fab, and New York granted numerous incentives for AMD to come there. New York loses if Intel continues to grow market share over AMD, as AMD has less money for taxes. This is all about money. Yes, I do think Nvidia should enter the market, not for competition, or because they have a better product, but because their entry will push intel to create better, faster, and more watt / cost effective CPU's, which is a good think. NOT because Intel is a monopoly.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Sure, why not. However, if nVidia basically produces me-too cpus with minor distinction, it may be too much of a distraction for nVidia with too little return. On the other hand, if they go radically different, needed software support might be the "Achilles heel".

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
If they enter the CPU market, I would imagine they would need to partner with another company like VIA, SUN, IBM, or AMD to get the initial groundwork and the patents to make a processor usable on most consumer machines.

ehenry818

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I saw they should go for it, but the need to be market savy to get into the CPU game. Come up with a line the the 1.21 gigawatt CPU, Fully loaded with a flux capacitor. And as far as I am concerened INTEL is garbage AMD all the way

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Absolutely! As said, More competition is better

however, Nvidia if going CPU route already has practice in combination of CPU and GPU power working in unison to enhance computation power.

If Nvidia goes the route of creating their own CPU, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that they'd combine the thoeries behind CUDA computing within their CPU. Imagine a Quadcore CPU that also has it's own GPU like processing onchip?

Would take computing to the next levels. AMD(ATI) are also well situated for this as the combined company can bring both to the table as well.

I'm more interested to see what Intell will do to compete with such combination of technologies.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think this is why nVidia wants to buy VIA...so they can have an X86 license? Regardless...I think eventually the "central processing unit" will do everything all on one chip. They are already including memory controllers on the CPU die...why not integrate the graphics chip as well (AMD Bulldozer?) So...if it is all running off of one chip eventually all they have to do use a language (OpenCL) that can be the bridge to the OS. After that it doesn't matter what company makes what chip...smaller...faster...more cores...more cache.

Yes nVidia. Make your chip. Keep Intel honest!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.