QOTD: For Which Apps Do You Need a Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Prime 95, Intel Burn Test, LinX, cpu-z, realtemp, 3dmark vantage, PCmark, Sisandra Arithmetic... are there any other programs than that?

All joking aside I need it primarily for games like Empire Total War, Mass Effect, Crysis, Oblivion, and of course, folding@home (smp+vmware and gpu)

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
No apps I use strictly require a desktop. Rather, I use a desktop for the massive speed gains running macro's, computing finite element methods (ANSYS and NX Nastran), using parametric solid modelers (CATIA, Solidworks, UGS NX). Running any of these on a desktop is faster (given the same price level), and much quieter. Also very easy to hook up dual monitors to a desktop.

G

I still use a desktop mainly because I don't like buying from brands such as Dell, HP...etc. Building a custom desktop can be a lot of fun, and save a little bit of cash while doing it.

G

I use Daz3d, Softimage XSI, Adobe CS4 Extended and quite a number of games.

I have a fairly powerful laptop, a Dell XPS m1530 with a 2.33ghz Core 2, 3gb ram and an Nvidia 8600m GT 512mb.

Rendering video or 3d still absolutely chugs on the laptop.

I will always prefer my Core i7 for heavy graphics work because the quad core is a huge speed boost and I like having huge dual monitors.

My laptop is great for light work, but serious stuff i turn to the desktop

G

I prefer a desktop because I find that Windows Me runs much better on a desktop form factor.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Well....errrrr....games obviously, to get a laptop capable of doing what a 1000$ pc does you would need...hmmmm ~3k laptop? And I have no reason for portability at the moment. Except for mobile browsing a bit on my iPod XD

GreatKratos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Desktops have countless advantages over notebooks and netbooks but the majority of people only use their computers for checking emails and the like.

This is why the netbook buzz is so strong. They are cheap and they provide the functions most people require.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Mobile computing is for chumps.

But seriously, I like to have all of my stuff in one place and I like to have a computer that I can do ALL of my stuff on. So therefore, a high-end desktop is the only choice for me.

However for other users it depends on their needs. It all depends on who you are and what your computing needs are.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
for a powerful laptop you'll be spending a lot more than on a desktop. use my laptop for class but my desktop is my gaming. i like having steam, itunes, aim, virus scan, and a million folders + browser windows open at the same time and only my desktop can handle it.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]Mobile computing is for chumps.But seriously, I like to have all of my stuff in one place and I like to have a computer that I can do ALL of my stuff on. So therefore, a high-end desktop is the only choice for me.However for other users it depends on their needs. It all depends on who you are and what your computing needs are.[/citation]

So what do you need your desktop for? I probably cannot do heavy virtualization without one, other than that I dunno?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I have a desktop at home because I want a larger screen and I want it to be set up permanently.

At work I need a desktop because we run pretty demanding cad apps.

I have 2 laptops but I only use them when I need portability.

G

VM is my biggest motivator as I have consolidated from a rack full of lab DL380s to a single quiet PC. The cost savings and power consumption are reason alone. Other than that restrictions on processor cores, memory and RAID are definers steering my purchasing. My laptop is a toy by comparison, good for web and office applications. $3k in PC dollars has no comparison in the notebook world, at least today...

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]So what do you need your desktop for? I probably cannot do heavy virtualization without one, other than that I dunno?[/citation]

Gaming. Because you honestly cannot expect me to run Crysis on my dad's $900 Toshiba junker.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I don't have a laptop and I'll probably never have a laptop. If I'm going to go portable, I'm getting something tiny and durable with an ssd, maybe a smartphone. If I want to do something demanding proc power, I'll use a desktop. I'll get a laptop when we can start choosing our own psu's and cases and monitors and cpu's and memory and mobo and graphics within a few seconds and it can all be packed in a slim ultra durable case with at least 12 hours of full screen gaming power on the battery. Until then, buzz off, laptops. I love my desktop and my (future) smartphone :D

Desktop > Laptop all the way to my grave...

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Anything more intensive than Office and Solitaire on a computer. When will fools wake up and stop complaining about their slow Dell laptop and just build their own desktop.

Kungfuc402

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I require a desktop or even server to run my MatLab code. It takes far too long to run on a laptop (currently using a Core Duo 2 @ 2ghz in a Dell Studio). Laptops are not even close to desktops wrt processing power.

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Any game that requires discrete graphics (unless you have a gaming notebook.)

Folding@Home (because long amounts of heat in a laptop is bad.) (I'm counting similar programs with this, too)

Virtualization (because the more RAM and cores, the better.)

Remote Access (it's easier to keep a desktop on all the time.)

Graphic Imaging (If you use Adobe's Creative suite, more than one program at a time can become taxing, so more RAM and cores will come in handy.)

Digital Video Recording (Because it's easier to record video with a tv tuner. Very rare for a laptop to have this, and expansion cards usually have limited quality.)

Audio Editing (because high end speakers, microphones, and sound cards are nicer when they are stationary.)

Now, I kinda listed more than what I actually do myself. However, I believe all of those to be true. Also, I was under the assumption that we are not counting Desktop Replacements as notebooks.

G

Most modern games and CAD programs, simulators like flight simulators that are advised to be ran on multi monitors; Video encoding programs especially those that encode HD video to mpeg4 like encodings, Studio recordings that require an internal soundcard for most optimized latencies,...

Just about any professional program that is advised to be ran on 2 or more monitors; servers that need to serve on gigabit lan networks, or that need to store more than 1TB of data,....

In short, there are plenty of programs out there where a desktop is preferred.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
All of them, I have a netbook and you can't run anything on it. /Joke
I'm a hardcore desktop guy and swore of laptops for the longest time. My me I saw no reason I needed to pay more for a smaller screen and less powerful computer that I couldn't build myself and wasn't ever gonna leave the desk. Building is fun choosing the best components that fit my needs and I don't have to remove crapware from a maJor oem.
I don't like much of anything about laptops honestly. My aspire one though is perfect, when I need a computer on the go its less then 3 pounds, has a great battery and fits in my Jacket pocket.
More fitting answer to a different question. I need a laptop to run a browser and a messenger while I'm out of the house.

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
It is true that notebooks today can handle a lot of tasks the average person requires. The exceptions are of coarse (like previously mentioned above)advance Video games and Virtualization. But for me what is really comes down to is comfort. I just feel much more comfortable around a traditional desktop setup. All the wires gets on my nerves buy hey, small price to pay for comfort. Also I can build my own desktop just the way I want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.