QOTD: Have You Ever Stolen Someone's WiFi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]leafblower29[/nom]Well I tried to... but they were all protected.[/citation]
Dont let that slow you down. The answer you seek lies on this very site...

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
How do you think I'm posting this?

I have a moral code though, I never borrow unprotected wifi. A bit backwards, but it gives me a robinhood feeling inside. :)

G

I am doing it now. I actually contacted the person who "owns" this UNSECURE wifi system. Offered this person a fee AND offered him a brand new "G" wireless router to replace his old "B" version. He "freaked out"
shut the system off for 4 days. It's back on. He never called me back. So I use it as it is UNSECURED and I use it for routine surfing and nothing else. Being without a job and very limited income it beats going to the library or whatever venue for free wifi. IF you DON't SECURE it, oh well!
I am up high and at any given time I "see" 14 different networks. At any given time at least 3 - 4 are UNSECURE..2 - 3 others are using factory defaults for security.. Some use really colorful network names to insult
you. Broadcasting UNSECURED it is FREE to me.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]How do you think I'm posting this?I have a moral code though, I never borrow unprotected wifi. A bit backwards, but it gives me a robinhood feeling inside.[/citation]

Aww, that's sweet in a mean sort of way.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
For the longest time, my friend had dial-up, but his neighbors had Fios. 7 minutes to download a full DVD linux distro from some server at MIT (we live near boston). The best part was that they knew, and they were cool with it.

As for the question: of course! who hasn't?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I let some of my neighbors "borrow" my WiFi from time to time. I take off the protection when no one is using our internet because I know that atleast one of my neighbors will jump at the opportunity and I'm ok with that.

PanSola

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
If the WiFi connection is not encrypted, then I consider the owner to be sharing it with the public, and I have made use of such generosities in the past.

If the WiFi connection is encrypted, then I have never tried broken in and use the connection that is meant to be private.

I would argue only the latter definition is "stealing", and I have never stolen in the latter sense.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
When we lived in the townhouse we couldn't connect to our own because so many people were on it so we used someone else's. 30 townhouses in 1 little area and everybody had the same service from the same company so it really didn't matter

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Live close to a fair grounds? You'd be shocked how many of them carni's have laptops and will snag up what ever signal they can get. I know, I used to be one. Many how ever will resort to a near by Krystal's or McDonald's, or anything else that might provide free WiFi. Infact there are a number of fair grounds out there now that have WiFi set up for those staying on the grounds.

tester3000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
If it's unsecured, that means it's public. If you want it to be private then secure the goddamn thing with a half decent password. Where ever i go, there's always one or 2 unsecured routers running. So.. don't mind if i do.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
No, I've never have, and I keep my connection as secure as I can (WPA and MAC filetring currently), I also check the client list every once in a while just to check if someone is piggybacking off me.

I once saw a connection that shouldn't be there and ban it, it turned out my router lists all clients in one list and not just the wireless ones, so I banned my brother's PC, it took me like an hour to figure out what was happening to his connection.

shurcooL

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
"There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who would piggyback on someone else’s Wi-Fi and those who lie about whether or not they would piggy back on someone else’s Wi-Fi."

What the hell? I didn't think this was so common.

I don't think I've ever done it.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I have been setting up a WiFi area in my area so that the neighbors can use mine. I live in a poor neighborhood and the kids think I'm a hero. It's just a small project of my on trying to setup a Network. My own Personnel Network is sealed by a Router and is Hardwired. Sure I get a drop in bandwith for a couple of hours but nothing that isn't noticiable.

G

Uh yeah.all the time.I mean,I paid like 60 bucks for a usb 500mw alfa ,and then a 14 decibel directional antenna,and then I still have it amped with another watt of power.

I can point this puppy out a window,and pick up networks (around 200)for about 5 blocks,in any direction,in a heavily congested city setting.

Who cares if it is protected by wep/wpa...just fire up backtrack 3,in a vm,and run a plethora of tools against it,with 40 gigs of rainbow tables on an external drive....and viola,in a matter of minutes,no more protection.

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I caught someone leeching off of my wifi (before I secured it, of course) so I left a notepad file in their shared folder saying basically "get your own wifi". I didn't want to do anything drastic since it was really my fault for not securing it in the first place. I have since secured my wifi. Have I stolen bandwidth? Of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.