QOTD: How Should We Test Rugged Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
In a dusty or sandy enviroment, in a very dry and a very humid environment, under direct sunlight, in cold and hot temperatures, drop them from table-height, bang them inside a carry case, smash the buttons with your fingers...

japnoise99

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Hot and sandy conditions. Many military in the middle east use tough books and such for their computing needs and it would be of great help to see which laptops would hold up the best before making an investment your stuck with for a year.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Tests:
1) put in backpack naked (no books as book is padding). drop it from shoulder height
2) same as #1 but drop it around 10-12 ft high
3) put in backpack naked, bang it against a metal pole like flag pole
4) put in backpack naked, pour small amount of soda on the backpack
5) same as #1 but pour a whole can of soda on the backpack
6) put laptop on stable table, drop a commercial-grade screwdriver directly on top (don't throw, just drop)
7) same as 6) but use commercial-grade hammer
8) do 6 and 7) with laptop open
9) attach the power cord, tie the cord to a truck and drive the truck 10-20 mph for 10 seconds
10) repeat 9) but continue at 25-35mph for another 10 seconds

ultimate test:
11) summon God and have Him break it

G

gotta have drop testing, and it has to be repeatable. One drop on each side, notation of visual damage. This should be done while the laptop is on. I think a good torture test would be to drop a laptop down the stairs and should ensure that it gets beat from about every angle, though its not entirely repeatable.

G

As an IT, I can say....
3-4 foot drops of different materials
drops onto corner or edges of wood or metal desks
crammed into desks

G

I take the notebook on the bus and it always hit some bar or someone kicks softly my handbag...

Killua

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Laptop near water environment - Splash Water while laptop is on. Submerge water in laptop while laptop is off.

Drop Test - 10 drops from 1, 2, or 3 feet high

Drop Test #2 - Drop objects of varying weight on laptop while its open or closed, on both sides of screen and keyboard.

Sand of varying grades (powdered clay to beach sand) and also mud.

Anything else that would be considered accidental damage to laptops but done repeated times to test how "rugged" it is.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Drop it from table height. Drop it while running up and down stairs... let it tumble down etc.

Pour some liquids on it... attach the power cord and drag it around.... those seem like the most natural kinds of things you could do to damage it (or try to damage it).

johnmast

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
I use my notebook for astrophotography. It has to be able to stand up to extremes of heat and cold, moisture (in the form of dew), dust, dirt and quite a bit of rough handling. My Toshiba Satellite x205 has held up very well. I've even smooshed a few mosquitoes on it and the screen cleans up very nicely :)

aneasytarget

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
1. Drop tests, from the hood of a pick up truck.
2. Sand, dirt, mud, on the keyboard, screen, can the dirt get inside? Use a fan to blow some of the dirt around.
3. Put inside a car, while on, and drive on a bunch of rocky, bumpy, roads and see if it still works.
4. WI-FI strength, can they still connect to the construction trailer while looking at things outdoors.
5. How well can you read the screen in sunlight?
6. Battery life? How long to charge? How easy to swap out battery?
7. Can the laptop be used to detonate the charges to blow up the building? :D

G

Launching them like clay discs then shooting them down with shotguns.

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Leave it in a dusty wood working shop and see how long it runs before it overheats.
Drop it, tip it! Lots.
Leave it in the sun for a week. With the screen open.
Spill coffee on the keyboard. Then clean it using only windex and toilet paper.

G

As an EMS agency, we use rugged laptops for patient care reports.
1. Drop from stretcher height.
2. Use it in the rain (water exposure in real world use)
3. Expose to cleaning solutions (to wipe away various fluids, etc)
4. Repeated key presses.
5. If it has a touch screen use a stylus on the screen in a up/down or side/side motion (i.e. scrollbars) repeatedly to see about screen wear.

Those are a few I can think of.

As mentioned above, drop tests to start with. After that, you definitely need to test it in the rain, sand, mud, etc. I would also try bending it (i.e. hold the sides tight and press on the middle). It would also be interesting to see if it worked while submerged...

Status
Not open for further replies.