Question QPF is now 10Mhz ?

Jul 6, 2021
After inputing into admin command prompt "bcdedit /set useplatformclock no" And "bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes" (following the instructions on this video) my laptop is now slower and changing graphics settings in most games doesn't affect fps, nor changing the resolution. Experimenting with different combinations of tsync, useplatformclock and tick, changes nothing. My QPF is now 10Mhz and changes only with "bcdedit /set useplatformclock yes" to 24Mhz which is even worse. It feels likes something changed and now it won't change back. I also heard that virtualization might be a possible cause so I turned off intel virtualization technology and Vt-d. the pc seems faster now but the QPF is still 10, and the fps issue still persists.

I can run most of my games at 144 fps because they aren't that hard on the graphics but after this issue happened I now my laptop produces crackling and popping.
I am most upset about apex legends, which ran 144fps no problem before. Here is a detailed explanation of the issue:
I'm stuck on 130 max fps on fullscreen even in menus but when I switch to borderless it just easily spikes right up to 144. Also, the weirdest thing is, that when I'm in the play tab and I press escape (which shows settings and exit to desktop) it immediately reaches 144. It might be related to Armoury crate/GeForce experience forcing on some setting/Realtek audio drivers or QPF.

Also, this happens on the lowest settings and highest (unless I turn on Vsync in any form, then it barely reaches 90). It's like it's capped at 130fps.

I have a ROG Strix G15

Specs:

Processor Intel Core i7-10750H 6 x 2.6 - 5 GHz, Comet Lake-H

Graphics adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile

Memory 16384 MB

Display 15.60 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 141 PPI, 144 Hz

Storage 512 GB SSD

OS Windows 10

My issues are also very well described here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/queryperformancefrequency-returns-10mhz-on-windows/44946807-5355-4b36-ba3e-43aa86ce30c0

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I wish you didn't follow that YT video to tinker under the hood of that OS, which tends to go belly up when you do things it doesn't like. What version of Windows 10 are you working with? You could've just made sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update, then used DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot and then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command with the latest drivers from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jul 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I wish you didn't follow that YT video to tinker under the hood of that OS, which tends to go belly up when you do things it doesn't like. What version of Windows 10 are you working with? You could've just made sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update, then used DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot and then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command with the latest drivers from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
I updated my bios 2 months ago which bluescreened my laptop. I think the reason was that the settings of bios were defaulted, and the setting of SATA was set to "Intel premium RST" which causes a bluescreen until set back to AHCI. I also recently did a full uninstall with DDU and then installed them again with the official package from the Nvidia website. No changes.
I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809

Jul 6, 2021
why are your running enterprise? and where did you get the installation media?
I had windows installed by a pc-fixer, and he installed "the fastest version" which I think is just outdated and has a lot of functions cut out of it. I planned on reinstalling a newer version from my old pc, it but I had changed so many settings that I'm scared that when I reinstall windows all the bugs I fixed will return. And obviously all my apps will be gone too

Jul 6, 2021
Exactly, and I can't do that. I need to fix the QPC issue, not the windows installation atm. I will try the repair option tomorrow though, thanks.

Jul 6, 2021
where do you see the qpf? and working on which issue?
did you do the bcdedit command after the fresh install?
I check it both in wintimertester and Pcclocktiming. I have not touched bcd for a whole year now.
Wdym working on an issue? I am periodically searching for fixes of stutters, low fps, freezes (pretty sure all of these are caused by the bcd command) just to find new solutions that don't do anything

hang-the-9

Titan
Installed windows pro. Then did the repair. Still 10.0000 Mhz
Not sure why you would do a repair after a clean Windows setup. I would reset the BIOS to defaults, then do a clean Windows setup. Download the drivers, including the video drivers from Asus support site. I think they may even have a utility to automatically find any missing drivers for your system, must make sure you use the Asus one not some 3rd party one.

Jul 6, 2021
Not sure why you would do a repair after a clean Windows setup. I would reset the BIOS to defaults, then do a clean Windows setup. Download the drivers, including the video drivers from Asus support site. I think they may even have a utility to automatically find any missing drivers for your system, must make sure you use the Asus one not some 3rd party one.
Because the issue wasn't gone? Idk.
I did try reseting bios which just lead to more issues. Also i recently used the Intel utility to find missing drivers which made things worse.

hang-the-9

Titan
Because the issue wasn't gone? Idk.
I did try reseting bios which just lead to more issues. Also i recently used the Intel utility to find missing drivers which made things worse.
Yes but a clean Windows setup is a clean Windows setup, a repair is only useful on an original setup to clean it up. Get the drivers from Asus, the Intel driver utility is not bad but it's not really good and won't find many things.

Jul 6, 2021
cpu/gpu temp during the game?
memory test? ssd test?
could be the game? could be nvidia driver add new feature?
Warzone br duos and the hwinfo monitoring for 7 hours (half of that time the laptop just sat there turned on since if i put it to sleep there is a risk of stutters appearing). View: https://imgur.com/a/LKK9Pxq
The temps mid-game went only up to 86 cpu and 79.5 GPU (as far as i noticed).
Memory and SSD test? how do I do those?
Also the fps hasn't changed with the updating of drivers via GeForce experience or ddu.
I don't think it's the game since my friend has an i5 10th and 2060 and he is running 250 fps with raytracing. And all of the youtube videos of g15 tests in warzone show +40 more fps than I have.

Jul 6, 2021
Hwinfo says that thermal throttling was once enabled for core 3 and core 5.
Warzone usually uses 70% ram. The other percent are probably the 50 chrome tabs open.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS