quad channel for Ryzen 7

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hello. I have been modifying my first build from last year and the latest addition to my frankenstein of a pc is 16 more gigs of ram. It already had 2 8 gigabyte Flare X 2400mhz made for ryzen, but I wanted to make it 32 and be done with it. It's mostly because of stuff I'm planning on doing in After Effects. I figured the extra ram would come in handy. First of all I am still not sure if the ram I just bought is even compatible with Ryzen and AB350 boards. According to comments and Viper's own list, it is. It is a 2 8gb kit of Patriot Viper Elite at 2400mhz and I think it will work according to what I've read so far. But my worry is that since Ryzen 7s are all dual channel, the quad channel will not make that big of a difference, or it will not work at all. I also wanna know if I can run all sticks at 2666mhz or not. Because I already have my 16 gigs overclocked to 2666. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

Solution
"Quad channel", meaning 4 matched sticks of memory will act like 2 pairs of "dual channel" memory on a system only capable of operating in dual channel mode.

Should work fine as a set.
1. even same brand can not guarantee will work...
2. 2400 oc to 2666 is still kind of slow for Ryzen
3. To maximize chances, buy same timing ram but prepare to see it can only run 2400 if it works
4. I will suggest selling your 2400 and buy 2x16 3200

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Quad channel, really? I didn't even know Viper offered that until I google it. (How can it be quad channel if it is only a 2-stick set?) Anyway...
It shouldn't make any difference running on a dual channel platform. I've run triple channel RAM on my dual channel boards before.

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
Your RAM will likely work at 2666, maybe with a bit of OC. 4 sticks is harder to OC because RAM runs at the speed of the slowest module.

Set RAM voltage to 1.4V, SoC to 1.1V, loosen timings up to C18-18-18-38-76 and start tuning up your clocks.

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

I was ignorant about dual and quad channels on cpus. Ryzen is dual channel and having four sticks doesn't make it quad. I didn't know that.

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Yeah I had no darn clue what the heck single dual and quad channel memory meant. So it turned out that Ryzen having two dies inside is dual, and having 4 sticks of RAM doesn't make it quad. Idiot me.

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Thanks. It sounds a bit scary. I don't wanna fry my ram and motherboard. But once I understand timings a little better I might try that. RAM overclocking is much harder than CPU overclocking. Those timings need a computer science degree to understand.

TRENDING THREADS