[SOLVED] Quad Channel Ram 4x8 2666 on Ryzen 5 1400

Dec 23, 2018
New pc builder here, So i got a r5 1400, rog b350-f, and currently 1x8 gb of 2666 ram, is it possible to get 3 more same modules to make it quad channel? Will my system handle it?

Solution
It is not possible to have quad channel RAM on a Ryzen CPU. The CPU is only dual channel hardware. You can have 4 DIMMs, but they will be dual channel not quad channel. BUT, it is not optimum. Two DIMMs in a dual channel CPU will give you the maximum clock speed and maximum throughput.

Being able to buy "3 more same modules" is not guaranteed. Even the same model number could be different internally. The only guaranteed way to get memory that works as a set it to buy it as a set. Two matched DIMMs as a set. Any other mix-and-match RAM is a gamble.

kanewolf

Titan
It is not possible to have quad channel RAM on a Ryzen CPU. The CPU is only dual channel hardware. You can have 4 DIMMs, but they will be dual channel not quad channel. BUT, it is not optimum. Two DIMMs in a dual channel CPU will give you the maximum clock speed and maximum throughput.

Being able to buy "3 more same modules" is not guaranteed. Even the same model number could be different internally. The only guaranteed way to get memory that works as a set it to buy it as a set. Two matched DIMMs as a set. Any other mix-and-match RAM is a gamble.

Solution
Dec 23, 2018

wait so there is no actual difference between 2x8 and a 4x8 in terms of significant speed? And that means im stuck with 16 gb ram at 2666?

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
On both Ryzen and Intel consumer parts (Ryzen 3-7 and Intel Core i3-i9) there is only support for dual channel ram. You can use 4 sticks but they will still run in dual channel. Your PC will pretty much treat 2 sticks as one and the other 2 sticks as one. 4 sticks have no advantage over two but 4 sticks won’t really hurt your performance either.

Why do you need that much ram? Unless you’re positive you need 32gb of ram you’ll see better performance with a new 16gb kit of 3000mhz ram.

kanewolf

Titan

Four DIMMs will usually not run at maximum overclock on Ryzen, especially. You might get 2933 or 3200 on two DIMMs but only 2400 on four. There can be downsides to four DIMMs.