quad channel RAM

Bigh0331

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Hi,
I am currently running 4x4GB Ram cards in a quad channel setup. An old computer of mine broke and so i have 2x 2GB RAM cards salvaged from it. Just wondering if i would see any benefits from installing the 2 cards in a quad channel system

Solution
If you currently have 4 sticks running and are considering adding 2 more, you either have an X58 mobo (Tri-channel) or an X79 (Quad), you can try adding the 2 additional sticks, but may lose your tri or quad config, unless the mobo supports Intels Flex mode

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
depends on your motherboard. just because you have 4 sticks in a motherboard doesnt mean the cpu sees it as quad channel there is only one current gen mother board socket that supports quad channel and thats the 2011. if you do only have a dual channel cpu you can still install the other 2 sticks to see an improvment from it going from 4gb to 8gb but only do it if the sticks specs are matching with the 2 you have installed already. but even with all 4 ram sticks in, it will likely still only be able to run in dual channel. do you know what model your mobo is?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If you currently have 4 sticks running and are considering adding 2 more, you either have an X58 mobo (Tri-channel) or an X79 (Quad), you can try adding the 2 additional sticks, but may lose your tri or quad config, unless the mobo supports Intels Flex mode

Solution

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable

+1

TRENDING THREADS