rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I call shenanegans...they only call it quad because there are 4 sticks.

Its kind of like the rolling carpet vacuum that works in all 4 directions due to the wheels. They call it "quad movement technology"...should be called 'wheels let it go all 4 ways'.

sailer

Splendid
All in all, it doesn't look bad. Beyond that, its not a bad price, but, does anyone have a need for 8 gig of ram? We're just stepping into the idea of using 4 gig of ram with Vista 64, but 8 gig? Maybe this is an idea, tow people get together and buy a set of this and each uses only two sticks.

Beyond that, I think its just marketing hype, similar to ram that's advertised as "Vista Ready".

xerohour

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
quad channel ram was initially produced by GEIL. their black dragon ram was the first to utilize it. Benchmarks show it has about an 8% improvement over traditional dual channel. Not exactly a marketing gimmick..

sailer

Splendid

Got any links to some independent tests to show that? Normally, going from 2 sticks to 4 sticks of ram slows things down, as the 2 sticks run at 1T timing while 4 sticks run at 2T.

The number of memory "channels" is controlled by the memory controller whihc is either located ont he mobo or on the CPU iteself. If you want to get technical, dual channel isn't really 2 channels as much as it is that the memory signal uses both the rise and fall of the clock cycle to transmit data. You could ahve "quad channel" memory if the IMC or chipset had two seperate memory controllers or if they were somehow able to send two signals per clock cycel.

However, in this case, it's just a marketing gimmick...

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I know that quad channel exists.

Most 2 sticks run at 2T lol check the ram being made, almost all 2T.

Only 1T I can see is what I got OCZ SLI memory. 4-4-4-15-1T, even tho mines oc'd to 1000mhz 5-5-5-15-2T.

If it would run quad channel id probably get it but as I suspected it doesnt, so ill just get the OCZ fan and another 2 sticks of my ram and overclock it all to w/e it runs stable at at 2.3volts.

smitten

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Are you saying that dual channel = doing something twich per clock cycle (which is what DDR RAM does)?

Because that is not true