[SOLVED] Quad Channel Underclock?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix B450-f Gaming and 32 gigabytes of trident z rgb at 3600mhz speed. Normally, I just run it at 3200 because I can never get it to 3600, but today I decided to actually try and get it. After some trial and error, I took out two of the 4 sticks and I got 3600mhz speed. However, when I put in the extra two sticks, it just quadruple boots and downclocks it to 2133 mhz. I have no clue why this is, could somebody explain it?

Solution
Hello everyone,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix B450-f Gaming and 32 gigabytes of trident z rgb at 3600mhz speed. Normally, I just run it at 3200 because I can never get it to 3600, but today I decided to actually try and get it. After some trial and error, I took out two of the 4 sticks and I got 3600mhz speed. However, when I put in the extra two sticks, it just quadruple boots and downclocks it to 2133 mhz. I have no clue why this is, could somebody explain it?
Ryzen is NOT a quad channel memory controller. It is dual channel. When you have two DIMMs per channel, the memory controller has more resistance (capacitance usually) to drive. So it is more difficult to get high clock speeds.
Also, you probably don't have a matched set...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone,

Ryzen is NOT a quad channel memory controller. It is dual channel. When you have two DIMMs per channel, the memory controller has more resistance (capacitance usually) to drive. So it is more difficult to get high clock speeds.
Also, you probably don't have a matched set of four DIMMs. Your probably bought a set of two DIMMs and later on bought "the same thing". But they aren't EXACTLY the same. Vendors sell matched sets of DIMMs for a reason. They guarantee all the parts to work as a set at a clock speed. They don't guarantee set 1 to work with set 2.

Solution

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Also, you probably don't have a matched set of four DIMMs. Your probably bought a set of two DIMMs and later on bought "the same thing". But they aren't EXACTLY the same. Vendors sell matched sets of DIMMs for a reason. They guarantee all the parts to work as a set at a clock speed. They don't guarantee set 1 to work with set 2.

Yeah i meant dual channel but 4 sticks. So by what you're saying is that my RAM is slightly different, meaning that it can't match exactly?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

Ok funnily enough apparently I did buy slightly different kits:

One of them was a 3600C18D-16GTRX, https://www.gskill.com/product/165/167/1536719010/F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX-Overview

But the other was a 3600C18D-16GTR non X. Idk what that means or changes, but yeah. https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1562824288/F4-3600C18D-16GTZR-Qvl

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

TRENDING THREADS