News Quad-Core Arm 10W CPU Powers New Chinese Gaming Rigs

Brian28

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure WINE on Linux won't let you run an x86 binary on an ARM CPU. So it's not going to help unless you somehow have the Windows game compiled for ARM. (Which I suppose is possible if it was designed to run on Surface Pro X. But how many games will fit that description?)

Nov 24, 2020
I'm pretty sure WINE on Linux won't let you run an x86 binary on an ARM CPU. So it's not going to help unless you somehow have the Windows game compiled for ARM. (Which I suppose is possible if it was designed to run on Surface Pro X. But how many games will fit that description?)

I'm pretty sure you haven't heard of BOX86. it runs on the ARM platform and allows for the execution of x86 binaries in linux or through wine. https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86 . I also find it compelling that there has been a compatibility report for Red Alert 2 using UOS. https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86-compatibility-list/issues/44 . BOX86 should have got a mention in this article alongside Wine and CrossOver.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

I have to say one thing. There is nothing stopping Microsoft from making windows to work on ARM..... if China is willing to pay, M$ will get it done. ITs that simple. As for drivers, again just $$$ issue.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
I don't think he is living under a rock. There is a lot of people that don't know about the Surface Pro X using ARM or MS even dipping their toes in it, they were terrible at launch and no one really even talked about it.
It is a thing, ARM will be taking over, it just won't happen very soon. Apple has introduced it with the M1, with great fan fare, the MS Surface, not so much. MS is using its own ARM design, while it is a step forward from its initial design it is still lacking in performance. Apples M1 has done extremely better and users that have them, love them. Pisser is it is Apples first one, low budget and it is doing really well. It will be interesting to see where they go with the next gen.

Once MS gets its act together, games for ARM will take hold more and more. As of this writing, most software designed for Windows still doesn't work, or works very poorly. MS needs something like Apples Rosetta 2 to emulate x86 better than it does until software devs port more and more into ARM.