Quad Core Cortex A15 is ARM's Next Super Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
im all for arm as long as they do not make socs only. show me some stand alone cpus that i can put on the motherboard pls.
Dont get me wrong but i hope they dont expand from mobile to desktop/server with their SOC way pls :(

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
A quad core cpu running at 2.5GHz on the next tablets/phones...
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]No you wont.[/citation]
Hey, you never know what you're gonna get. For all we know there could be a mobile crysis game in the future.
Would be cool to see this on the latest tablets though. 2.5GHzx4, 500gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1333MHz, 7" screen at 1920x1080 resolution. God, if the price is 400-500$ I would get it, even if there's no real point.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
By the time this is out...something tells me all the competition will also have comparable or better parts making this not so exciting.....they just made a press release about it first

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I agree, this would be fantastic for tablets. I really don't see anybody out there needing this much firepower in their smartphone, but that's just my opinion.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]dalta centauri[/nom]A quad core cpu running at 2.5GHz on the next tablets/phones...Hey, you never know what you're gonna get. For all we know there could be a mobile crysis game in the future.Would be cool to see this on the latest tablets though. 2.5GHzx4, 500gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1333MHz, 7" screen at 1920x1080 resolution. God, if the price is 400-500$ I would get it, even if there's no real point.[/citation]

Holler back once you find out a way to cram 2.1 Million pixels onto a 7 inch screen. And by the time that happens, I'm sure nobody will be playing crisis except for you.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Is there any bench mark to compare single core ARM processor to Atom processors? I want to see how much performance gap there is

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If a smaller packaged powerhouse with lower power requirements make using a "netbook" not as painful in the future as it is today, I may pick one up for internet browsing around the house or at work. Today that is not interesting to me.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Holler back once you find out a way to cram 2.1 Million pixels onto a 7 inch screen. And by the time that happens, I'm sure nobody will be playing crisis except for you.[/citation]
What's a crisis got to do with what I said?
If it's too much for you, then we can go with 1440x900 on a 7" screen which is already out.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Besides phones and tablets and whatnot, I could see this being adapted for servers. Would make for a low power setup with a decent amount of performance.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]dalta centauri[/nom]A quad core cpu running at 2.5GHz on the next tablets/phones...Hey, you never know what you're gonna get. For all we know there could be a mobile crysis game in the future.Would be cool to see this on the latest tablets though. 2.5GHzx4, 500gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1333MHz, 7" screen at 1920x1080 resolution. God, if the price is 400-500$ I would get it, even if there's no real point.[/citation]

desktop replacement iPad?

does this cpu do graphics too or is it just a cpu... judging from the pic its just a cpu... so youd have to have a mobile graphics card in your next ipad which means youd need a huge hs/fan on it ... something that palmtops and apple ipads arent known for. But if they can find a way to do it (and use an ssd for the drive and put some usb ports on it so I can plug in a kb and mouse) I'd buy one too.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]desktop replacement iPad?does this cpu do graphics too or is it just a cpu... judging from the pic its just a cpu... so youd have to have a mobile graphics card in your next ipad which means youd need a huge hs/fan on it ... something that palmtops and apple ipads arent known for. But if they can find a way to do it (and use an ssd for the drive and put some usb ports on it so I can plug in a kb and mouse) I'd buy one too.[/citation]
Just cpu, seeing as it's coming out in the next 2 years we could be seeing integrated graphics; although I would be fine with integrated graphics for the first models of whatever they use this in.
I just hope it's by a company that has good support, my old Archos7 didn't have a new update in over a year, but their archos5's would get an update every few months. Archos7 [250gb 5400rpm, 512mb DDR2, 7" screen 1280x720, a 1Ghz processer, and Droid OS.] Cost me under 300$. Now I consider it slow and nearly unusable, it still goes online fine, although it's original selling point "enjoy hd streaming and viewing from home or on the go, with site's like youtube!" when the archos only supports flash 9 lite.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]dalta centauri[/nom]What's a crisis got to do with what I said?If it's too much for you, then we can go with 1440x900 on a 7" screen which is already out.[/citation]

"For all we know there could be a mobile crysis game in the future."

That's what Crysis has to do with what you said.

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
i dont know what ill die of first cancer in the eyes from using a nvidia tegra, or brain cancer from using a tegra cpu? im already blind and cross eyed from the nvidia g force!

Status
Not open for further replies.