Quad Core or Dual Core

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigonroad

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Ok, I've been getting a lot of advice on these forums, and I've made some decisions.

I've chosen the following setup - can I have some constructive criticism/confirmation:

Q9550 with an Intel DP43TF board.
Coupled with 4 gigs of good ddr2 800
With a ATI Radeon HD 3850 512meg

Is this machine going to serve me well?

Chris

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002

I assume you're referring to Intel's quads... in which case... you do realise Intel's quad core architecture IS their dual core architecture, right? Just with two of them on a chip. Be careful with your words. ;)

bigonroad

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I've looked at I7s, and its gonna cost me £20 more for the processor, £50 more for the motherboard, and about another £30 for the Ram. That takes a pc thats scraping £600 up to £700. I'm not sure i can afford that.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Another alternative is waiting till April 20th for the Phenom II 955, it's X4, 3.2ghz stock speed. Not sure if it's black edition, but if you're not OCing then it won't matter much. Also, the release of the 955 might push down the price of the 940 3.0ghz X4.

G

Hi Silviajdm

I'm currently in search for a powerfull yet reasonably priced pc for me to use for rendering with 3dsmax 9 as my current pc is struggling. The specs you have for your pc are pretty impressive and i don't think i'll need quite as much hard disk space as you have, however I'm trying to find out what type of processor you have. I've been concidering getting a gaming pc with an amd phenom 64 quad core 9.2ghz. However i'm not sure if that will work with 3ds max.

If you don't mind contacting me by e-mail my e-mail address is: edmundis@hotmail.com.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

G

Hey Fedtmusen

If you don't mind me asking how much did your pc cost in total?

I've got a pretty large desktop case, but it's insides aren't doing it any justice for the amount of room it takes so i'm looking to upgrade with as low cost as i can get at the mo to be able to run 3ds max9 64bit.