Quad Core q6600 overclocking 3.0 ghz trouble

bluejamesbond

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I am trying to overclock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking
a Q6600 G0 to 3.0 ghz

I have only overclocked it to 2.5 ghz but the temperature rises when in auto voltage.
I want to put it up to 3.0 Ghz, and what is the recommended voltage(s).

I have a cooler master sphere fan 2400 rpm and 2 other fan with one fan blowing air into the intake area of the cooler master.

I think the cooling is sufficient.

I have 680 Watt psu.

Forgot my mobo is a GYgabyte P35-S3G

I RAN THE CPU AT 3.0 ghz but when i used prime 95 the pc just rebooted after 5 minutes and OCCT quit after 3 minutes and 12 seconds. It said the cpu was too hot?

I have a 800mhz Kingston DDR2 ddr2 2GB Ram

The idle temperature while at 3.0 ghz were
core0 45
core1 42
core2 39
core3 42

In this range

When using occt it went up to 69 and then it said the cpu was too hot?

What should i do?

Thank you

email info to bluejamesbond@gmail.com
or reply here itself

thank you

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
What do you have the voltages set at? You should need a minor voltage increase with that chip if it is a G0 stepping chip. Although you need to remember that every chip is different. If Prime fails then 99% of the time it is a voltage issue unless you have the heatsink properly seated which judging by your temps you do.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Also did you try memtest 86 to test your memory because prime will do blended tests and if your memory is failing then that can be a problem. What about your other settings? Are you autoclocking your memory? If you set that too high it can crash out as well.

There are many parameters you need to set. Gigabyte boards make it way easy though.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I dont think you mentioned your CPU Cooler...

Heres what I did

I put it to 3.0 on all auto voltages and ran prime95 for a couple hours. It got pretty hot, near 70, but it will because your voltages are high. I didnt fail though. So i went back in and saw the auto voltage was 1.40 (could vary on your board). I manually set the voltage down a few notches and booted up and primed it again. Just keep doing that until it fails. Then when it does, go back in and move it back up a notch until it works.

Thats basically the best I can tell ya, mine works just fine and it idles around 40 and gets in the low 50s when gaming.