Quad Monitor setup, 2 by 2 or 3+1?

Dragonarmy

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
I want to start using quad monitor setup for gaming. Should I go for a 2 by 2 or 3+1? Could I use 4 Ultra Wide curved monitors? I am hoping to use 4 4k monitors to achieve 8k but I do not like how the gaming screen is split right in the middle on a 2 by 2. I have seen people on Youtube, when playing BF4, use a 3+1 setup and have the map being displayed on the top while gaming on the bottom three. How do you achieve that? Which other games have the same function?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Go with a curved monitor in the middle and flat ones for everywhere else. A curve on the sides will be worse. The top one probably should be curved as well. In order to do what you're asking you're going to need a minimum of a dual 1080tis and only play games that support sli. Any situation where SLI isn't supported your frames will take a big hit. Or just drop to only the main monitor in those cases.

First of all no gpu in the world can push 8k 60fps at anything higher than medium settings.
Secondly a lot of games start "stretching" when using multiple monitors.
Thirdly a 2*2 is weird because your main screen will always be off center.
(I don't know the numbers anymore :p)
4. A 3 way monitor setup is only ever really used for racing games and simulation games and those video's on youtube are 99% just people showing of but not using it when playing an actual shooter or so.

Dragonarmy

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

First of all, I have enough power to push 4 4k monitors at 60fps and above.
Secondly, what do you mean by stretching?
Thirdly, I have decided not to go for 2*2, instead I am going to use 3+1.
4. Do you know how to achieve gameplay with the three bottom screens and the top screen as map?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
1080tis in SLI is your only hope still probably have to play at 1440p and let the monitors do their magic to make it 4k. A 1080ti still has a few minor drops below 60 fps in some titles on one Monitor you're asking it to do 3.5 of them

I agree this is unrealistic unless you plan to play minesweeper at 4k. A single ti is good for around 60fps at 4k in most games, but not all. Even w/ SLI you're not going to drive 3 x 4k without a lot of tradeoffs.

Unless the game is really designed for 3, the left n right screen images will be stretched. Youtube Project cars on 3 screens and you can see it - looks terrible.

3 (or 4) x1440p/144hz is a better path.

1. whats your pc's specs?
2. There are very few games that won't stretch their image across 3 screens due to it being a really wierd aspect ratio. Just look at youtube or google images. A lot of games do support multiple monitors but very few display correctly
3. thats best
4. some games support it nativly other games you just need to google "game x 3 screen support" and "game x map on seperate screen". Also make sure you aren't breaking any terms in the game by doing this as you can actually get banned for using plugins that allow this.