[SOLVED] Quad Q6600 and GTS 250 512mb

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
Hello,
Is there any way to remove the bottleneck of my CPU and GPU?
PC SPECS
Quad Q6600 2.4ghz (not overclocked)
8GB DDR3 1333mhz 2x4 dual channel
G41M Combo Rev 2.0 motherboard
Zotac GeForce GTS 250 512mb 256bit

Solution
"bottleneck" is a term to describe the fact that the weakest part holds back the other parts. the way to fix it i to make the weakest link faster. you can't make the q6600 any faster, so you have to upgrade it to make it happen.

but in reality you are probably not even using the term right. my guess is you are struggling to play newer games due to the age of the system. this is not a bottleneck but rather just not meeting the system requirements for the game. big difference in terms but the fix is the same. if you can't meet the requirements, then you need to upgrade the system if possible. there is no way to fake performance levels. the cpu/gpu can either handle it, or it can't!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
"bottleneck" is a term to describe the fact that the weakest part holds back the other parts. the way to fix it i to make the weakest link faster. you can't make the q6600 any faster, so you have to upgrade it to make it happen.

but in reality you are probably not even using the term right. my guess is you are struggling to play newer games due to the age of the system. this is not a bottleneck but rather just not meeting the system requirements for the game. big difference in terms but the fix is the same. if you can't meet the requirements, then you need to upgrade the system if possible. there is no way to fake performance levels. the cpu/gpu can either handle it, or it can't!!

Reactions: WilfredDrake
Solution
  • OVERCLOCK THE CPU - this thing is a dinosaur. IF you absolutely can't afford a new system, you need to squeeze every last drop of performance out of this one. 3 to 3.3GHz should be achievable.
  • What power supply do you have?
  • What country are you shopping in?
  • What's your budget for a new GPU?

Core2 systems shouldn't be used for gaming anymore.

Last edited:

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com

Yes I am upgrading my CPU and GPU to Q8400 and GTX 550 TI
I only play like CSGO, League of Legends and Valorant. My specs right now can play these games without issues but I just wonder if the bottleneck is bad for my pc or not. Also because my CPU is not compatible with my current ram 1333mhz so I need to upgrade it to Q8400, also I cannot buy a new system just wanna stay for my pc and upgrading it. I just learn something new about this! Thank you very much :) Appreciate it :D

Yes I am upgrading my CPU and GPU to Q8400 and GTX 550 TI
I only play like CSGO, League of Legends and Valorant. My specs right now can play these games without issues but I just wonder if the bottleneck is bad for my pc or not. Also because my CPU is not compatible with my current ram 1333mhz so I need to upgrade it to Q8400, also I cannot buy a new system just wanna stay for my pc and upgrading it. I just learn something new about this! Thank you very much :) Appreciate it :D
The Q8400 is only around 5-8% faster than the Q6600 and even with 1333 vs 1066, it's only going to increase your fps in games by 5-10fps. It's just too bad you have a G41 motherboard, because if you had a better board you could just overclock your Q6600 to 3Ghz to run 1333 and match or exceed the Q8400. Edit - Actually, after having a look at the manual, it looks like you might be able to reach 333Mhz FSB overclock for 1333 ram. That would get you 3Ghz from 2.4Ghz on your Q6600.

Your upgrade plan is really only going to get you at most 10-20fps in whatever you play now. That might be enough to make it playable for you, but that money would probably be better saved for better parts. Are the Q8400 and GTX 550 TI your only options for upgrading on the same motherboard?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no having a bottleneck is not bad for the pc. again it is unavoidable and present on every pc ever built!!

all it means is one part or another will not work to its fullest as it is waiting for the slower part to give it work to do or to finish what it was told to do before it can do more.

it does not actual harm to the pc at all.

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
The Q8400 is only around 5-8% faster than the Q6600 and even with 1333 vs 1066, it's only going to increase your fps in games by 5-10fps. It's just too bad you have a G41 motherboard, because if you had a better board you could just overclock your Q6600 to 3Ghz to run 1333 and match or exceed the Q8400. Edit - Actually, after having a look at the manual, it looks like you might be able to reach 333Mhz FSB overclock for 1333 ram. That would get you 3Ghz from 2.4Ghz on your Q6600.

Your upgrade plan is really only going to get you at most 10-20fps in whatever you play now. That might be enough to make it playable for you, but that money would probably be better saved for better parts. Are the Q8400 and GTX 550 TI your only options for upgrading on the same motherboard?
Maybe this is the last upgrade to my computer. Q8400 and GTX 750 TI or GTX 550 TI (when 750 ti is not available). For me it is good that I can play the game I want smoothly not triple A games. Then maybe after 2 years I can afford a new PC.
And also you said that I can overclock my current CPU at 3GHZ but sadly I am using a Intel Stock cooler.
By the way thank you for answering my questions this really help me a lot and giving idea!

Maybe this is the last upgrade to my computer. Q8400 and GTX 750 TI or GTX 550 TI (when 750 ti is not available). For me it is good that I can play the game I want smoothly not triple A games. Then maybe after 2 years I can afford a new PC.
And also you said that I can overclock my current CPU at 3GHZ but sadly I am using a Intel Stock cooler.
By the way thank you for answering my questions this really help me a lot and giving idea!
Overclocking should be a last resort for extra performance because of how old your motherboard is and that it was never designed for overclocking. Upgrading to the q8400 is not worth the cost unless it's extremely cheap. It's only about 3-5fps difference between the Q6600 and q8400 at stock speeds and the memory speed difference only adds maybe 2-3fps more. If it's cheap enough and you still want to try overclocking, you could look for a 120mm heat-sinks. Try getting a Deepcool GAMMAXX 400, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or 212 Evo.

You will likely see a larger fps gain in the GPU upgrade and the cost of the CPU or heat-sink could be put into a better GPU if available in your price range. If you get a good enough GPU, you might not even feel the need to upgrade it when you get a new system in 2 years.

WilfredDrake

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
steamcommunity.com
Overclocking should be a last resort for extra performance because of how old your motherboard is and that it was never designed for overclocking. Upgrading to the q8400 is not worth the cost unless it's extremely cheap. It's only about 3-5fps difference between the Q6600 and q8400 at stock speeds and the memory speed difference only adds maybe 2-3fps more. If it's cheap enough and you still want to try overclocking, you could look for a 120mm heat-sinks. Try getting a Deepcool GAMMAXX 400, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or 212 Evo.

You will likely see a larger fps gain in the GPU upgrade and the cost of the CPU or heat-sink could be put into a better GPU if available in your price range. If you get a good enough GPU, you might not even feel the need to upgrade it when you get a new system in 2 years.
Hmm I just want to have the speed of my RAM which is 1333mhz and it's not compatible to my current CPU and also my Quad Q6600 and the Q8400 has the same price so it's not a big deal for me. I will buy a 120mm heatsink also.