Quad Q9650 or Pentium g2358

Theguynamedty

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I'm trying to help a friend build a gaming right on a budget (very low budget)and I want him to have a decent CPU for the money. I was thinking about either getting him a used Core 2 Quad q9650 or a Pentium G3258. I'm not sure whether to go with more cores and older socket/mobo or less cores and newer socket/mobo. If you have any better suggestions for the CPU or know which one would be best please answer below.

Solution
I'd go with the 3258 on the proviso that you can afford a z97 mobo. Anything but the z97 limits you severely, leaving you at a point of not being worth doing. I have a 3258 in a backup system, it's quite snappy(I was able to over-clock to 4.4, your experience will most definitely vary). Focus on getting stuff that allows future upgrading. Video, ram, cpu, and storage can all be upgraded quite easily. Mobo, case, and psu are not as easy. Spend your money on the latter stuff and plan on updating when finances allow.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I'd go with the 3258 on the proviso that you can afford a z97 mobo. Anything but the z97 limits you severely, leaving you at a point of not being worth doing. I have a 3258 in a backup system, it's quite snappy(I was able to over-clock to 4.4, your experience will most definitely vary). Focus on getting stuff that allows future upgrading. Video, ram, cpu, and storage can all be upgraded quite easily. Mobo, case, and psu are not as easy. Spend your money on the latter stuff and plan on updating when finances allow.

Solution