Question quadcore

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
When do you Think quadcore will be dead for gaming? when will at least 4 cores / 8 threads or 6 core cpu be minimum? I know this is hard to answer but what is your guess?

kanewolf

Titan
It depends on your "required" level of performance and features. I think that four cores will become the standard minimum requirement and that new titles will scale between 4 and 16 threads. If you "only" have 4 cores then there may be features you don't get.

kanewolf

Titan
ok so in your guess a decent quadcore will still be ok for many years at least for
budget?
Yes. I think that the economics of assuming more than quad core as a minimum doesn't work for the developers. BUT, if a new gaming console comes out with an 8 core CPU with games targeted initially to that console, then the developer is more likely to make that 8 core a minimum because porting to fewer cores would be more difficult.

Remeca

Reputable
I can still "game" on my Pentium D and C2D computers, they're just not going to run the latest and greatest very well. So quad cores will stick around, although in a few years their position will be diminished to "is good for eSports titles" and so forth on down to obsolescence.

If we are talking about gaming cpus, then Im sorry but I don't agree.

The following is my personal point of view.

Right now, if you are buying new, unless you are really, but really on a super tight budget, the minimum cpu core count I would buy is either 6 cores/6 threads, or 4 cores/8thread. Now, if budget allows it theres one option that for me is the new "best" budget right now, the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, bascally a "new" 12nm node slightly slower Ryzen 5 2600 version for only U$85.

Then again, kanewolf is right on that it all depends on your requirements, it depends on what you need the cpu for: basic office apps + web browsing; gaming; productivity tasks: or gaming + streaming?

For basic task (web browsing, office) , 4 cores are enough, and I believe there will be enough for many years to come.

For gaming, thats what I wrote on my second paragraph as the base choice, being the Ryzen 5 3600; Ryzen 7 3700 or the Core I7 9700K and the i9 9900K the best options from both sides for me as you go up, to et the best out of your GPU).

For Productivity you have lot of CPUs to pick from, but right now 3rd gen Ryzen and Threadripper have a the lead.

Finally for gaming + streaming, then I would go with something like a Ryzen 5 3600 as the minimum, and then R7 3700X, Ryzen 9 3900X/3950X or the Core i9 9900K.

Cheers

PD: yes the new consoles launching later this year will include an AMD cpu with 8 cores and 16 threads. And so developers are already writing code for those (you need games for launch day).

kanewolf

Titan
If we are talking about gaming cpus, then Im sorry but I don't agree.
There are two viewpoints. What you think is the minimum acceptable performance and what the developer things it has to be. It also depends on what the game is remember that there are lots of Minecraft players not just COD players. I was saying that developers will keep four cores as a minimum requirement. You may not find that acceptable.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i agree with buying new at this Point to get at least 4 cores / 8 threads but im not talking About from buying perspective i was more aiming at when will it happen.
maybe it will be soon if that consol use the 8 core. i apprecieate your thoughts About this.

There are two viewpoints. What you think is the minimum acceptable performance and what the developer things it has to be. It also depends on what the game is remember that there are lots of Minecraft players not just COD players. I was saying that developers will keep four cores as a minimum requirement. You may not find that acceptable.

Sorry, you got me wrong, my bad, I should have quoted the OP. I was not talking about your first post kanewolf, I was talking about the OP who wrote "When do you Think quadcore will be dead for gaming...? "

For me 4 core cpus, for a brand new gaming PC are dead already, actually they been dead for a year or soo.
Of course there are lots of games that still play well on 4 cores cpu. What I tried to write is that if youre buying a new system, then I don't agree that a four core cpu is a viable choice at this point of time.

When do you Think quadcore will be dead for gaming? when will at least 4 cores / 8 threads or 6 core cpu be minimum? I know this is hard to answer but what is your guess?

I think we are already there...I have multiple friends that I game with and they are suffering game stuttering and distortion to their voices in Discord and reporting their quad core cpu's are pegged at 100%. For myself Ive already ditched a 4 core 8 thread cpu for a Ryzen 3600 in my gaming rig...this was due to 1% low frame rate issues that the 3600 has fixed.

InvalidError

Titan
Quad cores (especially models without SMT) are slowly but surely falling out of favor now that there are plenty of affordable hex-cores options out there. As others have already written, quad-cores will still run most current and foreseeable games, just not optimally so.

For a new build, I wouldn't recommend anything less than a Ryzen 2600.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
It depends what games you play, what resolution, and fps you aim. On most demanding games of 2019 recommended cpu is 4 th gen i7 and gtx 1060/1070. When quad be dead? When cpu be bottlenecked by gpu you can comfortably play games. I think it comes soon, cause gtx 1070 is edge for older i7.

Yes. I think that the economics of assuming more than quad core as a minimum doesn't work for the developers. BUT, if a new gaming console comes out with an 8 core CPU with games targeted initially to that console, then the developer is more likely to make that 8 core a minimum because porting to fewer cores would be more difficult.
The current consoles already have 8 cores and the reason that quad cores hit 100% usage is that there is no porting to fewer cores going on so nothing much will change.