Quadro 4000 DVI not working?

VTChev1616

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
Hello,

I recently purchased a second hand Quadro 4000 for CAD and modeling work. I was informed the fan was broken... it wasnt. I purchased this knowing the risk that it may be broken, but for the price it was worth it. Either way, I cannot get an output from the DVI port. I am currently waiting for a Displayport to HDMI to test out the other outputs. What I've done so far and the system:

Dell T5500, 16 GB ECC DDR3 RAM, Dual Xeon E5540 CPUs, 256GB SSD OS drive and 2 TB data drive, Windows 10 Enterprise

- I plugged in an old graphics card in parallel (AMD) to get a video output. Windows was able to recognize and load the Quadro 4000 hardware in the device manager.
- I have moved the Quadro card between slots. Windows still recognizes the hardware.
- I have swapped position between the AMD card and Quadro. I was able to still get video output from the AMD card in both positions, no output from the Quadro card.

So I have a few questions overall.

1) Has anyone ran into this issue of a failed DVI port for a Quadro 4000?
2) Is there any testing I can perform on the status of the Quadro card?
3) Will I need a DP input monitor to get any video output?
4) Does the DVI port output an analog signal? I currently don't have a DVI monitor, but I will be able to source one if needed.
5) Will there be a conflict between the AMD and Nvidia drivers on the same Dell board? I am intending to get an older nvidia card to see if this is the case.

UPDATE: I swapped in a GT430, the NVIDIA control panel is able to recognize both graphics cards... Then my monitor went blank...

UPDATE 2: Managed to run Furmark and see if the Quadro is able to process anything. It's able to use the Quadro card for processing. I am going to purchase a DP to HDMI adapter and see if i get an output to a television or monitor. I suspect the DVI output might be fried OR it doesnt output an analog signal.

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
For HDMI you could do either DVI to HDMI or displayport to HDMI. The DVI port on the Quadro 4000 shows that it is a DVI-I which would have analog output. The analog pins are the 4 pins around on the opposite side of the plug from the display port plugs.

For CAD work you really need better quality monitor(s) ...

kanewolf

Titan
For HDMI you could do either DVI to HDMI or displayport to HDMI. The DVI port on the Quadro 4000 shows that it is a DVI-I which would have analog output. The analog pins are the 4 pins around on the opposite side of the plug from the display port plugs.

For CAD work you really need better quality monitor(s) ...

Solution

VTChev1616

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
I agree on the monitors for CAD work, this machine I'll be using in the office for work. The monitor I'm using I had lying around at home. I am going to be using at least 1080 monitors at work.

I did notice that the original packaging (via Nvidia's website) came with an active DP to DVI-I. I looked carefully at my DVI to VGA adapter, and I'm pretty sure it is not an active DVI-D to VGA. I will need to find a DVI-I to VGA next and I will update the thread once I find one.

I also contacted the original seller. He informed me he used a DP to HDMI adapter but didnt elaborate. I assume there may need to be some sort of active conversion between DP and HDMI?

VTChev1616

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
I got a proper DVI-I to VGA converter to see if the Quadro card is outputting an analog output. I confirmed that the DVI is still outputting a video signal. I ordered a DP To HDMI adapter and I will test the other two ports next.

VTChev1616

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
So overall, the Quadro 4000 I got "used and broken" does output an analog signal from the DVI-I port. The card is "broken" based on thermals since it idles at 70C and not closer to 50C (based on some Googling). I am still debating about disassembly and replacement of the card's cooler or at least to clean out the cooling fin array (probably caked with dust). Since I don't know the history of this card any thermal damage might be unrepairable at this point. If I do anything else I will probably post another thread. Thanks for the advice!

TRENDING THREADS