Question Quadro fx 3700m causing laptop display backlight to not work

Jimboss99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Hello,
I have the Dell Precision M6400 which originally came with a quadro fx 2700m. I upgraded it to the fx 3700m however it caused the display backlight to not work and I had to connect it to an external monitor.
I have tried two displays so it's definitely this new gpu causing the problem and not me damaging the displays. I then installed ANOTHER fx 3700m a few days later and the backlight works fine on both displays.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why the first fx 3700m caused the display backlight issue??
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Given that your issue was averted when you moved to the same spec MXM card but as a replacement to the first one that didn't work would indicate that perhaps the card was faulty to begin with or that your platform might be nitpicky as to which cards can and will go into it(eventually being functional).

Out of curiosity though, did you remove all GPU drivers using DDU prior to removing the older MXM card for the new? BIOS updated to the latest version for your laptop?

Reactions: Jimboss99

Jimboss99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Thanks for your reply, I tried re-flashing the latest system bios, I also used ddu but no luck.
I have done some research about flashing gpu bios onto the fx 3700m - do you think flashing the working fx 3770m's bios onto the bad one would change anything or is the problem to do with the card itself?