[SOLVED] Quake 3 Arena + Ultra wide 21:9 screen + 1440p support on motherboard issue.

May 19, 2021
Been playing on a 1920 x 1080 23 inch screen. Just updated to a 34 inch dell ultra wide for WFH - on route.
The motherboard supports 4k on HDMI but @ 24hz and DVI 1080p @60hz only. The processor supports 4k @60hz however.
Q3A is the only game I play.

Question:
1> Do I use an DVI to DP adapter since the Max resolution Q3A allows id 1080p
2> Get a GeForce GT 1030 for 4k@60Hz. What sorta framerate would that give me, would it even make a difference etc?
Unsure if there are updated files/textures etc which would make it worthwhile on a 21:9 screen?

Setup:
Intel i5 6600k
Gigabyte GA Z170XP-SLI supports 4k on HDMI but 24hz and 1080p @60hz
16GB RAM DDR4 3200MHZ
No GFX card
Samsung 980 Pro 500GB

Solution
HDMI 1.4 should still be able to do 1920x1080 @ 144hz, so that shouldn't be a problem really. I think if you set your monitor up for 1080p before you launch Quake it will be fine over HDMI.

GT1030 would get you as much FPS as you have now, more or less. Certainly going to be CPU bound. Having separate memory will make it run a little faster, but probably not noticeably.

But you would gain support for higher resolutions and refresh rates, and some updated graphics technology. If you can track down a GDDR5 version for around $100, I think it is worth it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
HDMI 1.4 should still be able to do 1920x1080 @ 144hz, so that shouldn't be a problem really. I think if you set your monitor up for 1080p before you launch Quake it will be fine over HDMI.

GT1030 would get you as much FPS as you have now, more or less. Certainly going to be CPU bound. Having separate memory will make it run a little faster, but probably not noticeably.

But you would gain support for higher resolutions and refresh rates, and some updated graphics technology. If you can track down a GDDR5 version for around $100, I think it is worth it.

Solution
May 19, 2021

Thanks Eximo. Monitor arrived in the mail day before.

OMG what a difference with WFH. I tried a few quake 3 forums but it seems buggy with high resolution texture etc. Will explore more soon.

Regardless of which option I chose the fps was over 99 so quite happy I dont need to get a GFX card.

Only thing is the WFH is bit marred because of the HDMI/CPU limitation of 4k @24hz. Still chugging along untilI update my rig sometime in the future. Not bad but could be better.