Quake Live Returns to Roots as Non-Browser Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I completely forgot about quakelive until I read this article. I have not logged on to the site in over a year. I can't even remember the last time I played Q3A from a disk.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I have the original. From time to time i boot it up for a little frag fest. I wish i had more friends who had it, i'd do a LAN just based off that game and UT99. Fun and fast paced action.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Such a shame they're having to do this. Being in the browser is such an awesome thing for so many people, it makes it so accessible and all because Firefox and Chrome want to lock down their systems, Quake's having to go back to a standard program.

Shame. And shame on Mozilla and Google, no longer pioneers in their own fields it seems - it was only months ago we were being shown the Unreal Engine running in a browser, now hopes of anything really materialising have vanished.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The Id Tech 3 engine was released open source years ago. There are many free derivatives like Open Arena. The reason they dropped Linux/Mac support is because there isn't any developers left who can port it. It's probably not a priority for ZeniMax either.

Status
Not open for further replies.