Quake Turns 15; Carmack & Hollenshead Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I recently purchased this on Steam to relive the good ol' days. I remember playing DOSquake and being pretty impressed and then my head exploding when I picked up a 3Dfx Voodoo Rush for GLQuake. I worked all damn summer for that Voodoo Rush...

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I remember Quake very well. It was that game everybody was talking about while I was playing this other FPS nobody knew, called Duke Nukem 3D. 15 years later, I still play Duke Nukem 3D from time to time, and the last time I played Quake was more than 10 years ago.

No Quake for me. Come back... 15 years!

4745454b

Titan
After CnC (the first one.) my friend and I play Quake. For a really long time. I mean really long. We switched briefly to Half life, but he couldn't use WASD + mouse so I killed him a lot. We went back to quake. Problem was we had played other games and HL for so long that quake caused our eyes to water. Now he plays consoles and I stay with my WASD + mouse. I will forever remember "Gibbing" him on that final map. I learned the spawn order and could send a rocket to his next spawn area when I heard him tap the keyboard.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]quake 1 and 2 were the only good ones quake 3 was one of those "WTF did they do?" games[/citation]
quake 3 was awesome, i agree it in somewhat regard as it was so different being purely a deathmatch style game. It should have just been called Quake Arena minus the "3" as it really didnt have a lot to do with the first two.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah. I missed out on 3 days of calc in college just to rule the Quake 2 world of fraggin fun on the internet.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
"Quake was already kinda pushing it market wise saying we're requiring a Pentium"

Makes me chuckle a little. That badass 486DX4 running at 100 MHz just isn't enough.

Interesting fact. Back in the day, Intel 486 processors were capable of addressing up to 4 gigabytes of physical memory and 64 terabytes of virtual memory. By those standards shouldn't we be A LOT further than where we are now?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Ah the 90's back when PC Games,Applications and Windows were not horribly infested with draconian DRM crap unlike today and getting most software involved going to a brick and mortar retail store.Copy protection just involved a meager Product Key Code if that (Many PC Games didn't even have any form of (very light) copy protection).
I still cherish my old software and games well because it will always still work.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I remeber at college downloading a glide patch ( it might have been opengl, correct me if I am wrong) and taking it home to a friends house on the weekend. His computer had a Diamond monster 3d add on card. WE were totally blown away the difference it made. We spent an hour shooting rockets down corridors just to watch the lighting effects on the walls. We were playing Quake, interstate 76, and tomb raider pc with full 3d acceleration it was one of fondest memories of gaming till this day.

visagoth

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
My favorite mods were Rune Quake and Headhunters. Death spots, Gravity Wells and Freeze spots were just so cool! And I still remember my awe the first time I saw someone running across a level with 15 heads attached to their body. Does anyone still run Quake servers? I wanna play!!

visagoth

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Glide was for 3DFX Voodoo boards only, but GL Quake was pretty awesome if you had enough video ram. I played with Glide until I upgraded my Voodoo Banshee to an Nvidia card. Still have the Banshee in it's original box.

[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom]I remeber at college downloading a glide patch ( it might have been opengl, correct me if I am wrong) and taking it home to a friends house on the weekend. His computer had a Diamond monster 3d add on card. WE were totally blown away the difference it made. We spent an hour shooting rockets down corridors just to watch the lighting effects on the walls. We were playing Quake, interstate 76, and tomb raider pc with full 3d acceleration it was one of fondest memories of gaming till this day.[/citation]

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
The jump between software renderer to full 3D hardware acceleration was insane! The fact that Quake looked so much better and ran much faster was a quantum leap.

Also, from the video, totally rooted for the guy with the joystick in the beginning and Carmack makes a Professor Fink "Glaven" noise at 7:58. Gotta love the guy and all the things he's done for the gaming industry.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Aaaah, the original Quake 1 was my favorite. Didn't like any of the others after the 1st incarnation, that being said I didn't know why the look of 2 and 4 was so different. IMO the game went in the wrong direction with 2 and 4, I liked the original dark world and setting of Quake 1.

Years later I ended up buying the quake 1 CD for no other reason than the sound track. IMO one of the creepiest sound tracks ever produced, Trent Reznor is a god!

My greatest moment in the game was walking into an open area under the sky and freaking out when seeing a pulsating shadow on the ground. (nothing was above!)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I remember seeing the Id gang working on Quake before it launched when
I visited them in late 1995. Ironically, Carmack was the one guy I didn't
get to meet - guess he was busy. Great buncha guys though! Some decent pics
of the original crowd on my page btw, but apologies, none of Carmack.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.