QuakeCon 2012 Dates Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
good god, i went to a LAN party of 30 something and that was a crazy and a pain (well worth it).
but thousand of gamers @ QuakeCon? i'll hate to be in the center.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
oh cool, let's see what Carmack has to say about the failure that is rage...
"PC is an order of magnitude more powerful bla bla bla, but consoles are where the $$$ is at"

[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]oh cool, let's see what Carmack has to say about the failure that is rage..."PC is an order of magnitude more powerful bla bla bla, but consoles are where the $$$ is at"[/citation]
He'd better not show up there....

kanenfawder

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]He'd better not show up there....[/citation]

You're saying that... John Carmack... the co-founder of id... had better not show up at QuakeCon...

You have missed something there. It's basically his event.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]oh cool, let's see what Carmack has to say about the failure that is rage..."PC is an order of magnitude more powerful bla bla bla, but consoles are where the $$$ is at"[/citation]
You have to put things in retrospect here: He may have been the top dog at id software, but he no longer is since Bethesda acquired them. I don't know how much pull he has these days but keep in mind that he now has to answer to bosses he never had before. id Software did nothing differently with Rage than any other company is guilty of these past several years - but they were about the last company to give in to consoles ( *applauds that effort). I appreciate what these guys did over the years and hung on to the PC as long as they viably could, but I have no doubt that Bethesda pointed a finger at the console and told id (as well as Carmack) to make it their new primary interest. Not to mention, Rage has elements of a typical Bethesda game built into it anyway (feeling of rushed release, buggy, etc.). I would almost compare this marriage just like I do my other favorite developer going to crap: when EA bought up Bioware (not like anything EA touches maintains greatness afterwards anyway).

Quakecon is a fun event to attend, I'm pleased that they are still going to have it!

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Hopefully he takes the event to admit how badly they fucked up on Rage, how they are going to fix it with Doom 4, and also hopefully they start opening id tech 5 as a product like id tech 2 and 3 were, because they really need to play the Epic Games sell the engine card to stay viable.

Rage sucked because they spent too much time on the backend and not enough on the gameplay and experience. The opposite happened with Skyrim, made under Zenimax as well. Skyrim was all about gameplay and had tons of engine bugs and wierd quirks and the textures were somewhat shoddy and the game was tiny (7gb?) compared to Rage at 25gb, but the game lasted 300 hours of amazing adventure where Rage lasted 10 hours of mediocre linear levels in a semi-open outside driving area.

I'd really like to see id and Bethesda work together. The fact Bethesda made their own engine for Skyrim says something is up with the inner workings of Zenimax, they should have been collaborating with id and using the same tech. It would have been much easier to refactor id 5 to work on a huge world with quest branching and such than to rebuild from scratch the rendering pipeline and everything for the Skyrim engine.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Skyrim is basically using the Fallout engine. If you did any modding for Skyrim, you'd notice that they didn't even bother to remove all the Fallout object references from the code.... not to knock Skyrim though. After fixing a few bugs I had to start with, I loved the game.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]miataitbob[/nom]so what if you don't want stay at the hotel and just lan the whole time?! can you just stay at your pc the whole time?[/citation]
Yes, you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.