QuakeCon: Where is Doom 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

2nd to last line probably should reference Doom 3.
3rd paragraph has typo as well :
"the most tightly managed approach" ?to? company has ever used.

Rage isn't even out yet so I think it's too early to show anything from Doom 4. I'm sure ID will show something when they actually have something they feel is worth showing. I'm sure it will come out soon enough. After all, ID knows it' can't spend 12 years developing a game unlike some other developers :D.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I hope they keep doom 4 old school. Have the same monsters as the first 2 & have them look about the same except super deatiled. No team based missions in the main game but mabye on online optional missions. No super hard puzzels but find the keys without taking all day & hordes of monsters to kill off.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Doom I was so revolutionary: the most realistic and suspenseful game I had ever played to that point and I was seriously hooked. I remember breaking a sweat for how the game really pulled you into the action. Doom 2 was truly a worthy successor, adding so much without changing the fundamentals. Doom 3 looked great, but it could never live up to the hype and glory of yore. Some parts shined but it more out of nostalgia that I played it and not for the pure lure of the gameplay or anything.
I hope Doom 4 will somehow be ground breaking or simply tried and true. They would do well even now to re-release Doom 2 gameplay with updated graphics and sound. If not, then at least make physicals and completely destructable enviroment like the havok engine in RedFaction I

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Doom 4 will be based off of DirectX 9.0c when DirectX 11 will already be out according to what John Carmack has stated in past interviews. Doom 3 was about the graphics and was the Crysis of its day if anyone can remember those days anymore. This made sense since the Doom story is basically very simple and one would have trouble put a new spin on such a straightforward first person shooter. Since the same will probably apply to this fourth iteration, if not more so since this has been done three times before, graphics are going to be the greatest hope of success for this title. Here is the conundrum since much of what can be done easily or exclusively with DirectX 11 may be difficult or impossible to accomplish with DirectX 9.0c, what Doom 4 will be using, from the perspective of graphics. Maybe John Carmack was just kidding about it using DirectX 9.0c when it comes out, but if not then this game may turn out to be less then what it is hyped up to be. Hopefully it will at least incorporate triple buffering. Enough said.

hannibal

Distinguished
Ofcourse it will be DX9. Most GPU's in the world are still DX9 based. Expect DX11 games in 2-3 years from now. (If they are quick, most propably it will take longer. It all depends on how fast Vista / Win7 take of...

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Doom 3 surprised me, by being the only game I ever played, capable of raise my nerves, when played at dark room with headphones.

His atmosphere is dark, and is real art. Dark art, but the only at that level. I suffered it, but anyway played it many times.

I had heard comments about that kind of art on other games as FEAR xx, but they are totally inferior, washed down. Fear had good "hollywood" quality, but is not art.

I expect a lot from Doom 4. I fear too much...

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I've enjoyed all the Dooms over the years, and none have ever disappointed. Doom 3 did make me jump a few times..........lol

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Maybe this time their space marines of the future will actually have flashlights built into their guns and uniforms. Doom 3 sucked (great tech, awful game). I have low expectations for Doom 4. So I guess that's a good thing.

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]Doom 3 surprised me, by being the only game I ever played, capable of raise my nerves, when played at dark room with headphones.[/citation]
I take it you've never played System Shock 2 then.

Doom 3's 'atmosphere' was little more than cheap slasher film type scare tactics. Sorry but monsters jumping out of cupboards (futuristic cupboards, but cupboards nonetheless) do not make for a tense atmosphere.

Seriously. If you think Doom 3 is scary then SS2 will make you c**p your pants.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I would imagine that they would want to release Rage, then wait to release Doom 4 when Rage starts to die off... it's just good business practice.

Doom 3

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]cynewulf[/nom]I take it you've never played System Shock 2 then.Doom 3's 'atmosphere' was little more than cheap slasher film type scare tactics. Sorry but monsters jumping out of cupboards (futuristic cupboards, but cupboards nonetheless) do not make for a tense atmosphere.Seriously. If you think Doom 3 is scary then SS2 will make you c**p your pants.[/citation]

The original FEAR is great to :)

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Doom 3 was pretty boring IMO.

It should have been more action-packed. Instead, it was walking down seemingly empty hallways until a fat zombie popped out of a metal grate in the wall.

Rinse and repeat 100 times and that's Doom 3.

Fancy graphics - shallow gameplay.

/yawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts