Qualcomm’s Latest HMD Reference Design Features Adreno Foveation, Snapdragon 845 SoC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's possible to create a core unit for processing and that maybe includes the displays as well that could slot into a device to improve the hardware refresh rate. It'd essentially be a smartphone but without a battery or wifi/cellular connectivity and with an extra camera for SLAM and controller tracking. I'm not sure how dependent the ergonomics, lenses, and headset overall are on the display/processor. This could improve the VR adoption rate as it could be seen as a better value. You could buy the whole shebang one year and then in a few years times you could upgrade the core module for a fraction of the total cost. Probably just a pipe dream or impossible.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
MS' next-gen hololens seems like an obvious candidate for the Snapdragon 845.

First, we know Win 10 now runs on ARM (Qualcomm SoC's, in particular). And since Intel got out of the phone market, I'm not sure they have a sufficiently low-power SoC. Finally, I wonder if the Adreno 630 might've surpassed the performance of what Intel even could offer, in that power envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.